“Picturesque Scenery and Great Relaxation”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Vancouver

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Neighborhoods
Neighborhoods
Atlanta, Georgia
9 helpful votes
“Picturesque Scenery and Great Relaxation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

How one feels about Vancouver as a destination for vacation will ultimately depend on what he/she is seeking. For the traveler who seeks a beautiful location and peace of mind, Vancouver is almost ideal. I'd also recommend it for an outdoorsman/woman or a family vacation.

I do not mean to suggest that Vancouver does not have its' fair share of other attractions. There is, after all, shopping (including luxury shopping on Robson Street, which houses every major designer from Hermes to Louis Vuitton), a number of casinos, the Vancouver Art Gallery and the Museum of Anthropology. Nevertheless, when a tourist asks for the must-sees, the inevitable list consists of mostly of parks and neighborhoods to explore and almost entirely of outdoor attractions--Grouse Mountain, Stanley Park, Queen Elizabeth Park, Capilano Bridge, Van Dusen Botanical Gardens--I could go on and on and on. There's nothing wrong with any of this, of course, just a note for those who may be interested in things other than nature. That said, because the city is so beautiful, try to get up high for the views, whether that means the lighthouse, Sea to Sky Highway (both of which I wanted to get to, but time did not permit), a seaplane or simply a high point in the city.

Vancouver is a very walkable city, which I loved. Although I had a car--and would suggest the same for anyone planning to stay longer than a few days--I spent much of my time on foot. As mentioned above, neighborhoods are a significant part of the Vancouver experience. I'd suggest Downtown, Gastown, Yaletown, Chinatown and Deep Cove Village. Deep Cove Village and Gastown, while entirely different, were my favorites. Deep Cove Village features shops and dining, but most importantly, a marina, a lovely park, beautiful water views and access to water activities, including kayaking. Gastown, on the other hand, leans more heavily to the shops and dining side, but is also a key part of Vancouver history, with its' statues, plaques and cobblestone streets.

Foodies will love Vancouver. The restaurants are quite diverse and good authentic cuisine is easy to find. Other Asian food lovers will find themselves enamored of if not overwhelmed by their choices thanks to the large Asian population in Vancouver. I also indulged in a non-Asian restaurant, Brock House, which I will return whenever I revisit Vancouver (I'd recommend reservations and a tolerance for an intimate dining experience).

All in all, I found Vancouver to rank average to above average among the places I've traveled. I would return given the chance, which is a plus. I should also note that the people were some of the nicest and friendliest I've encountered.

2 Thank MrsADS
5 helpful votes
“Best Canadian City - BY FAR”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

I visited Vancouver in late May 2011 for a convention of 9000+ people, and was more impressed with this city than any other Canadian city (including Montreal and Toronto). The key? The people. Everywhere we went, people in all walks of life were phenomenally wonderful, decent, and helpful. In conversations with some of the other conference attendees, we all agreed it was a noticeable trend. Add the gorgeous natural beauty and cosmopolitan setting, and Vancouver is a top-rate city. The only drawback is the cost, which seemed higher than similarly-sized cities. Having said that, it would be worth saving up for a trip

Honolulu, Hawaii
16 helpful votes
“Vancouver a super cool place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Vancouver is a really nice place to go for a vaction. I would highly reccommend this place for younger people becuase if you go down granville street there is bars everywhere! Like there is a street that they have closed off and it has bars side by side! Super fun place! And a lot of things to see! A lot of tourist attractions!

Astoria, South Dakota
“Beautiful city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

Most beautiful city I have been to. Very clean, Very Safe and Very green. Mountains, Lakes, Inlets, Forests, beaches you name it this designer city has everything. Sunshine and Rain You got it.

maryland
23 helpful votes
“Downtown Vancouver, Stanley Park”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2010

We visited Vancouver for 3 days in late Aug 2010 and it was a fantastic trip. The weather was great, 60's-70's. We stayed at the Coast Coal Harbour Hotel right down near the convention center and harbor and a short walk to Stanley Park. The hotel was very nice, modern though a bit minimalistic. The service there was excellent.
We walked the waterfront area, road bikes in Stanley Park that we rented by the Convention Center.
We spent an afternoon in Lynn Canyon Park. The views, suspension bridge and the hiking was great. A must see and it was free.
Urban Fare, a chain convenience deli/food store was great. It was interesting to just walk through. I saw several downtown. They have just about everything you could ask for.
We also drove up to Whistler for the day up the Sea sky Hwy. Unfortunately, we hit the occational shower and cloudy weather, but Whitler Village was beautiful, and the drive as well. I wish it wasn't as cloudy at times. There were several scenic stops worth while on the trip up there.
There was a seedy area of town toward eastside, but we were only driving through. I wouldn't recommend walking down Hastings St. in that area.
This is beautiful city and I would recommend it to anyone. there are lots of things to do for any type of person. I would recommend a minimum of 3 days to catch much of it. On a beautiful sunny day you could easily spend all day in Stanley park.
We are looking forward to our next visit.

Been to Vancouver? Share your experiences!