“Good food . . . dynamic atmosphere”
Review of Zefferelli's

Zefferelli's
Ranked #26 of 3,751 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Robson Street
Victoria, British Columbia
“Good food . . . dynamic atmosphere”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We dropped in on a Friday evening in early January and were pleased to have just a short wait for a table. The food and service met our expectations and the fine long term reputation of the restaurant. We are two very compatible couples and we have visited Vancouver the first week of January for over 20 years. We live in Victoria. Being very comfortable in each other's company, the very high noise level in the restaurant was tolerable . . . we could either enjoy our meal in silence or raise our voices when speaking with each other. I am not sure the restaurant on a Friday evening would be my choice if we were sharing a meal with "new friends".

London
“Just average and a cold (temperature and service) restaurant”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Ate here one lunchtime just before New Year. The place was kinda quiet with just a few other customers in the big 1st floor dining area.

The menu was nothing to write home about - a standard selection of italian pasta dishes, maybe the selection had been reduced because of the holiday period. Most of the mains on the menu were about CAD20. A nice touch though was the fact that you could order a smaller portion of each item for about CAD13

The service from the staff was neither attentive nor good. The main thing that we had asked for help with was the temperature of the restaurant which was changing between cold and luke warm, several of my friends ended up wearing their coats in the restaurant. And for a restaurant that is supposed to be in the top 100 inn Vancouver this wasn't a great experience.

Had it not been for the heating failure this would have probably been a 4 out of 5 as the food was good but nothing excellent. But it has to be a 3 as we had to put our coats on to keep warm (and it wasn't even cold outside)

• Visited December 2013
United Kingdom
“My favourite Vancouver restaurant, by a local”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We are regular and very loyal Zefferelli's customers, and I'm finally getting around to giving them a review. Zefferelli's is my go-to restaurant in Vancouver. When I want to go out, and I want to be 100% certain I will love my meal and the experience, they never disappoint.

We almost always order the same thing, because it is so reliably delicious. I have the Penne Michelangelo and my husband has the Pomodoro sauce with a substituted spaghetti noodle. We always start with their complementary bread and marinara sauce which is to die for, and occasionally we will start with a caesar, mixed green, or tomato and bocconcini salad. The caesar has a distinct anchovy taste if you like that. I always listen to the specials and very occasionally will try something different, but it's hard when I love the Michelangelo so much. I've had their veal which was very nice, and I believe a special one night. I also once tried their crab and artichoke linguine and while nice, can't tempt me away again from my favourite pasta dish. The after dinner coffee is delicious. With the meal, I usually have their house red wine. Currently this is Tollo, and goes very well with our food.

The other reason we keep coming back to Zefferelli's is the amazing service we get. This has been consistent since the 90s if you can believe it. The owner is often present and regularly checks in with diners to see that they're happy. Admittedly most of the servers now know us, but they along with every new server (and the turnover is admirably low) treat us wonderfully. They are polite and warm without being too intrusive, very attentive to empty glasses and plates and seem to genuinely want us to enjoy our visit. They make us feel very special, and like valued customers.

In addition to the above points which alone would make us regulars, the room is very nice. I like the wood floors and wall of wine bottles. It has a nice character. The open kitchen at the back doesn't overpower the room as it does in some restaurants. The noise levels are right whether its busy or not: we can always hear each others' conversation. A seat by the window is a treat anytime of year due to the trees and people watching potential from the 2nd floor Robson location. In the summer, the windows open right up. I would recommend reservations on nights that may be busy: weekends and around Xmas. My only wish is that they were open for lunch on weekends, but if that is a business decision that keeps them open and profitable I'm absolutely fine with that. I hope they stick to their perfect formula for a long time to come!

Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
“mediocre at best”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

nice atmosphere, good service but mediocre food. I ordered spaghetti carbonara and my partner ordered linguini. Mine tasted fine but was exceptionally oily. My partner's was bland , tasteless with dry ground crab, However her meal was promptly removed from the bill once we notified the wait staff of our dissatisfaction. would not return only due to the poor quality of food.

“Great Italian restaurant.”
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Four of us chose this for our casual Friday night out. This is a classic Italian spaghetti house. It's been around for years and clearly has a huge following. Apparently over half their clientele are regulars which seemed to be the case last night. The restaurant was packed. It's not the place for a quiet conversational meal but it is vibrant and alive. Our meals were delicious and the servings were plentiful.

Visited January 2014