“A hidden gem”

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Robson Street
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I think it is fair to say that we would not have chosen Zefferelli's had it not been for the recommendation of my cousin who has lived in Vancouver for 20 years. I am always reluctant to visit restaurants that you cannot see into. You could easily walk down Robson Street and not notice the modest sign and stairs leading up to the restaurant.

I'm so pleased we went there, in fact we ended up going there twice.

This is not a pizzeria but an old-fashioned (in a good way) Italian restaurant serving a wonderful choice of pasta and other dishes. The service was very good with friendly waiting staff.

Well worth a visit.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

My wife and I went to Zeffrelli's last evening for a dinner with another couple. Three in our party ordered differing pasta dishes (which apparently Zefferelli's is known for) and I ordered one of their most expensive dishes, the braised beef with risotto...a dish I love and have ordered many times in other restaurants. The pasta dishes were all to everyone's liking but the sauce/reduction for the braised beef was burnt. You could smell it was burnt even before tasting it. To be sure, I had everyone at the table also taste it and indeed it was burnt. Politely, I brought the attention to our waiter who politely took the meal back to the kitchen to let "Chef" know. The others at our table ate slowly, but by the time the new, fresh order of braised beef was delivered one had already finished their meal. The beef was fine, the risotto was ok, but the sauce/reduction again was burnt. Unbelievable! Again, everyone at the table could smell and then taste that it was burnt. Kudos to our waiter for bringing the matter again to the chef and manager without argument but he left the meal with me this time. The manager did delete the charge for my meal from our bill but no substitute was offered. So I skimmed the burnt sauce from atop the risotto and beef and ate what I could. Now, I am not a picky eater and and I have had my share of burnt offerings cooked at home. But for a recommended restaurant, this was a shocker. To put burnt sauce on a meal once is maybe a mistake. However, I could not believe the audacity of the Chef to put burnt sauce a second time on a meal that had been returned. Does he/she have such disregard for restaurant patrons that he/she would try to sneak by an obvious culinary mistake. I know it takes a long time to make braised beef, that is why I am willing to pay the price. One of the beautiful aspects of braised beef is the red wine reduction with vegetables. The Zefferelli's sauce/reduction was burnt that night and should have been removed from the menu. To try and pass it off on unsuspecting patrons is a disgrace. Shame on you Chef...we expect much more professionalism and expertise from downtown chefs. I would never recommend Zeffereli's.

2  Thank Keen2goVancouver
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We visited yesterday. The restaurant was buzzing the service was fast, and thy took account f smaller tables nod their service ruins bigger tables that were in. House red ws good. Prosecco very drinkable! I had crab, artichoke, re pepper and crem sauce with linguine, I probably ate half of it, but I was lovely. Hubby had puttanesca, and didn't leave any! Desserts were good. Particularly the panna cotta with berries nd grappa. We booked but it wouldn't have been a problem it we hadn't bu we were relatively early. Nice ambience if not a little noisy. Very efficient staff.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

A very authentic Italian. Not trying to be too trendy but sticking with a great menu and authentic hearty food. Very busy with a good vibe. Our server Rob was the star of the show. A truly warm and funny guy who turned a great meal into a truly great experience. Another bonus was the cost of wine. Usually really expensive in Vancouver we got a litre of their house red - an excellent Montepaluvciano for £16, by far the cheapest and best wine we had in Canada. Not just a great meal but an overall great experience. Well done Zeffe's!

Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We love this place, ragu pasta is amazing, service always great and good value for money. We've never had a bad experience and have been here several times.