“Food is great consistently”

Jambo Grill & Paan House
Ranked #764 of 3,776 Restaurants in Vancouver
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Renfrew
Description: Welcome to Jambo Grill. "Jambo” is Swahili, East African word, meaning hello. “Paan” is a betal leaf wraped with sweets & nuts. The dishes at Jambo Grill are Khoja style cooking, which is quite different from other Indian style dishes. Khoja’s, followers of the Ismaili Branch of Shia sect of Islam, our forefathers in India, were converted to Islam by the Dais from Iran. Thus, there is a strong Persian & Gujarati influence evident in our cooking. The Tandoor, a deep clay oven is one of the key elements in cooking these dishes, like Chicken Tikka, Kebabs & Naan bread whick cooks on the walls of the tandoor. Around the 1920s, the Khoja’s settled in large numbers in East Africa before immigrating to Canada in the 1970s. Certain African style dishes such as Cassava & Tilapia Fish are influences from that continent. Also cooking on the Grill (Sigdi) was very common in East Africa. Dishes like Mishkaki & Kuku Choma are prepared in this manner. At Jambo Grill we present you with the tastes of four continents, Iran, India, Africa, & Canada which we now call home. Our ingredients, tastes, & style of cooking are influenced by each of these unique places.Our Symbol Shaped like a betal leaf & the flame of a tandoor oven, on top of our naan bread, with paan leafs falling into a jar of sweet syrup.Voted Vancouver's Best East African and Indian Cuisine & Restaurant in Vancouver.
Vancouver, Canada
“Food is great consistently”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

I have now visited this place on several occasions. The menu is very interesting and the food is great. This is EastvAfrican food with a string Indian theme. A huge variety of fish and meat dishes.

Service is attentive and I love the endless cups of piping hot Indian tea.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank MebsT

“Delicious African/Indian Cuisine”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have eaten here so many times, I have tried almost all of their sumptuous dishes. My two favs are the masala halibut with dahl and jungle ribs.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank ilovetravel13
London, United Kingdom
“Great tasty food.”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We had a very enjoyable meal with 12 people in our party.
I am from East Africa and the food was as good as I remembered.
The food was served pipping hot and was very tasty.
We ordered lots of dishes to share. The mogo and mishkaki were tasty and the biriani was like my mum makes which is a very good compliment.
I personally like my food a bit chilli hot but some chutneys and sauces were provided for varing tastes. Even the children in our group enjoyed the food.
I would certainly go back again if I lived in Vancouver but it is a long way to come for a meal from London, UK

• Visited June 2014
6 Thank Ishiarusha
Vancouver, Canada
“Richly spicy variety in a friendly environment”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I've eaten lunch here three times at this Indian/East African/Iranian fusion spot and each time have had a very enjoyable experience. The most recent outing was lunch on Father's Day and the restaurant was full of families and friends of all ages. There were three of us so we started with the dark brown deep fried chicken pakora bits then shared the Grill Platter and a tray of lamb lollipops as well as a side of perfectly cooked plantain with a fairly bland peanut sauce (comfort food and ballast) On reading the menu we hadn't been sure that the Grill Platter would fill us up but it did that with food to spare. It's a mix of saucy fatty riblets, flavourful tandoori chicken, intriguingly gamey and lean kebabs (really more like a pleasantly dry herbed sausage), excellent marsala potatoes, corn kernels in a tomotoe sauce, a sprinkling of dry uninspired french fries and some iceberg lettuce squares topped with a slice of carrot and cucumber with a yogurt dressing. I am really not a fan of lamb but tried one of the juicy marinated French cut lamb chops and went back for a second. Most dishes came with a coriander chutney and there was a hot sauce and a somewhat sweet clear sauce on the table. My girlfriend requested a spicier dip and one of the staff whipped up something that she approved of. The plates we ate off were square and had cavities along the top edge
to hold the array of the dipping sauces. With a beer, a pop and a ridiculously expensive $4.00 tin of Nestea, this humongous lunch came to $80.00. Service, even on such a busy day, was reasonably attentive and definitely friendly. On a less crowded day I had the waitress rush to my side to ensure my good health when I flushed deep red after eating something deliciously spicy. Just writing this review has made me very hungry. Thank goodness I don't live too close to this gem.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank piercesmom
leeds
“A very good restaurant with flavoursome food”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Visited twice couple of weeks ago and both times the food was excellent. The menu and dishes are influenced by East African Indian cooking styles and some of dishes have excellent flavours (try the "kuku paka" or coconut chicken curry). It is very reasonably priced for Vancouver and service is good. We had to keep looking for someone if we wanted anything (probably because visited at off-peak times as this place is open through the day), and one of the days got served mash when I had specifically asked for fries! - the waiter apologised and took it back to amend. The portions are good but the naan could be bigger (maybe it's a UK thing!).
Would definitely visit again next time I'm in Vancouver.

• Visited May 2014