“Not that great”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Gastown
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I went with a business friend for lunch on new-years-eve, he heard about it from a friend. The atmosphere is nice - it would be great for hanging out with friends in the evening. At first I was impressed - the menu has lots of really good sounding dishes. Unfortunately they were out of the first two items I chose. I settled on the pizza of the day which sounded great but was surprisingly boring, tasting mostly of cheese with no recognition of the key ingredients described. My friend's salad had pomegranate seeds all over it which did not work - you need to spit the seeds - try doing this with a mouth full of greens.
The service was great at first but then our server just forgot about us - we had to get up and walk over to him to ask for the bill and then had go to the front to pay so we could leave.
The bathrooms are nice with individual private rooms but the circular round unisex hand washing station was a bit weird. A woman half my age came out of her stall at the same time, I could tell she was a bit uncomfortable washing her hands 3 feet in front of me. It may take you a second to think why this is a problem. They should have plumbed sinks in each stall.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Chill Winston was recommended by a number of the working staff at the Fairmont Waterfront in Vancouver. Apparently, many of them find this venue to be their choice after their work day. They have good taste and sense.

We went there on the evening of New Year's Day 2013. Although it wasn't packed, it was reasonably busy. All of the staff are friendly, attentive, helpful and honest. For example, on the last adjective, I was hoping to have a decent Mai Tai - it was foggy and cool and thought the drink would warm me up. However, the bartender, through our server, said he couldn't do justice for that cocktail because of a lack of the proper ingredients. The restaurant serves a number of fairly complex and unique cocktails that I haven't encountered before and they all have very creative names.

The menu is structured around tapas. We basically ordered a charcouterie along with olives. Unique to me were the warmed olives bring out the flavour. The charcouterie had two very lovely cheeses, along with a variety of in-house pickled veggies and a very tasty and interesting, "mustard caviar". It had the texture of caviar but was made from mustard seeds. Excellent.

If visiting Vancouver, this restaurant is a great place to stop for lovely food but not wanting the fine dining ambience.

2  Thank want2seemore
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Busy place on a weekend yet service was efficient and friendly. Plenty of choice on the menu as well as uncommon items, such as dishes based on bison and other meats. Head Chef checked in to see how we liked the food, explained his local farm sourcing. You will enjoy your evening.

1  Thank Whon-t
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Service was terrible, food was terrible but in the summer the patio is amazing. wait til the spring or a fab warm fall day, enjoy a bevvy out there & take in the sights...there's lots to see

Reviewed November 2, 2012

This is a wonderful place to spend time with interesting food, drinks & people watching. Have only been on the patio (several times this summer) so not sure what the experience would be like inside. Somewhat expensive but the location across from Gassy Jack is fun as there's a constant parade of people. Service was good enough.