“Awesome Vegetarian Indian Restaurant”

Sargam House Restaurant
Ranked #1,161 of 3,994 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Shaughnessy
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I am a person that looks meat, so when I was taken here knowing that there was no meat on the menu, I was a little skeptical. However the vast array of choices, textures and spices in the meal was what got me to go back again and again. Their selection of dosas, uttapams and other breads is exceptional, and I've never left feeling as if I was missing anything. We generally order a thali plus some other mixed plate, and it is always enough. Delicious very time.

1  Thank sperifera

Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

This Began restaurant is a place I discovered with a friend when we wanted to eat cheap food.

I really like their Wednesday special because you get a mix of North Indian food. It is huge and for only $6.99 it really worth it.

Monday special is a spinach and cheese dosa. It is really really good because it is not really spicy and it cost $5.

If you plan to bring your girlfriend there, it may not be the best place because the restaurant looks like a cantine.

2  Thank takayukibru
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I've been travelling in BC for more than 1.5 months. Just happened to be going through this area to Service Canada then spotted a South Indian Vegetarian restaurant. Immediately, I became excited and told my partner about it when I returned to the hostel. We went there for dinner. He recognized this chain as being a very popular restaurant chain in India as he is East Indian. They are known for their low prices as well as high quality food. We went a few days in a row. Really enjoyed the buffet. It includes a small masala dosa and dessert. One of the very best buffet's I've ever had. The head chef came and greeted us at our table. Service was excellent too!!

2  Thank Sophejean
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We went with high expectations of great south Indian food and ambience. We were very impressed on entering the place - we were shown the underground parking area and were asked to come up. On entering we found no one coming forward to seat us. Eventually we found a table on our own. We ordered our food after waiting for over 20 minutes. While waiting we went to the restroom and found the toilet was an absolute mess and the floor was terrible. Walking back to the table we saw there was spilt chutney and sambhar on the floor - drying!! The food for 4 of us was brought at different times with no attempt to explain the delays. The food itself was of acceptable taste - but not to the Saravana Bhavan standard one has come to know in other places. We went away with a very poor impression of the way the place is run by this management - possibly the franchisee has no guidance. Overall a very forgettable experience.

2  Thank K L N
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Drove from Seattle to Vancouver for a food trip. Was so looking forward to a great lunch but it was not to be :(
Saravanaa Bhavan has a semi decent buffet which is a weird blend of north and south indian dishes. The south indian fare was surely better than the north.

Now here is my issue with the place. They have a system that does not work for them or us. You basically stack your plate with food you want and then they serve you with dosa/masala dosa/puri or naan on your table.

It took forever for them to bring out the dosas to us, did not get the puris at all and the naan was just plain horrible (way too thick and way too undercooked).

We have better south indian restaurants in Seattle. Wasnt worth the drive!

1  Thank travelerr59