“Ok, but not outstanding”
Review of Transylvania Flavour - CLOSED

Cuisines: Romanian
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Eaglescliffe, United Kingdom
“Ok, but not outstanding”
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

This was Our first visit and we were very much looking forward to it. However we felt we experienced a somewhat kurt welcome - we certainly didn't get the attention that regulars seemed to be getting - perhaps because we were using a Groupon voucher? We ordered the Knight's Platter to try out a variety of foods from the menu. However we were disappointed that it came on a cold steel platter, rather than on a heated tray, so by the the time we got to our final items the food was completely cold. Most items were very tasty - the cabbage rolls were particular flavoursome - but the perogies were firm and chewy round the edges - it seemed like they had sat around on a hot plate for more time. Wine at $9 for a 6oz glass isn't cheap. Would we visit again? Probably not I'm afraid.

Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent "ciorba"”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I am a Romanian and I didn't want to lose the opportunity to eat at a Romanian restaurant on the west coast. We were not very hungry when we got into town but we went there anyway. I got the tripe soup, my wife got the meatball soup and both of us ended with cabbage rolls with polenta. All of them were excellent and I would recommend to everyone that wants to try some authentic Romanian cuisine.

Visited September 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent service, good food, should be casual.”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

My husband and I dined at this restaurant after purchasing a Groupon. The food was restricted somewhat by the terms of the Groupon with a choice to be made in appetizer, main and dessert between two menu items. The food was hearty and tasty and service was prompt. There was a "formal" feel to the restaurant which I had not expected because of the location in the Kits area. The price point on the menu was quite high which will discourage frequent visits from us.

• Visited July 2012
“Waiter was nice but the host made me feel greasy”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I had been here before and had a good time. This time I bought a groupon and we decided to go eat. From the start I felt like the host was trying to pull a fast one on me. He asked us if we wanted water and I said yes and he proceeded to bring out a $5 bottle of water. I was fine with a glass of water. The food was decent though heavy. When the bill arrived he proceeded to tell us how he was not going to honour the groupon because we did not call ahead and tell him we were using it. I have used a few groupons in the past at other restaurants and they never had a problem with showing up to eat a meal. The restaurant was mostly empty so there couldn't have been a scheduling issue. I left the restaurant feeling like he was just trying to squeeze us or find any reason to not honour the groupon. I emailed groupon and cancelled my voucher and will never return.

Visited December 2011
“This is now one of our top 5 restaurants.”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

A little pricy in the end but the food is just so tasty and you get at $10 voucher for next time.