“"This is how they roll!"”

Shota Sushi & Grill
Ranked #1,611 of 3,868 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Kerrisdale
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend took me to this great Japanese restaurant by her house in Kerrisdale. Loved it so much me and my husband have been going to Shota for years and taking our friends and family there. A great family owned business . Consistently excellent food, reasonable prices and great service.
I am Japanese and make my own sushi and their sushi is yummy. A definite restaurant to try if you are in Kerrisdale .

Reviewed July 8, 2014

My sister wanted to take me out for lunch and highly recommended Shota as a great place to eat and a great place for sushi. When we arrived she pointed to the many celebrity comments posted on the walls. Michael J Fox and others obviously had a much better experience than we did.

Our server seemed quite nice as she seated us, but not overly friendly. Once she had taken our order she brought me tea and water and a drink for my sister. We never saw her again. Another server came by to deliver my sister's order and part of mine. The second part of my order arrived after I had finished eating and was ready to leave. I assumed my order had been forgotten and was quite surprised when it did arrive. My tea cup was never refilled until the bill came, even though a server walked right past us to take tea to another person who was seated behind us. No one checked to see how our meal was and on our way out the door the person who had brought the bill ignored us. Although another worker did make somewhat of an effort to say goodbye, she did not even look up from what she was doing.

The food was okay, but not great. Had I received all of my order in a timely manner and had the service been better, I may have enjoyed the meal more, but these things did not happen. As the place was not particularly busy, there was no excuse for the poor service. On the other hand if this is the way customers are normally treated I can understand why there were so many empty seats. I won't go back.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

My family and I have been coming regularly now five or six times a year for over a decade. They are consistently good and reliable. Although not a top flight gourmet place the quality has always been above average and they make an effort to introduce new items - although the menu for the most part has been unchanged for many years. Service has been prompt and efficient. Never had a poor meal in all this time. The atmosphere is pleasant and it is never to noisy to talk.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Big fan of Japanese food and especially sushi. This place is really bad. Sushi and noodles were horrible.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

As a vancouverite I come here whenever I'm craving a dish of great sushi. The rolls are outstanding and the sashimi fresh and great. Make sure to try their Tobiko fried rice, spicy tuna sashimi platter, and specialty rolls. Lunch prices are extremely reasonable, 13 bucks gets you a specialty roll meal.

Excellent food, a go to for myself and many other Vancouver foodies. If you come, you will not be disappointed! :D