“Good Dining Experience”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Came to Tanpopo during long weekend for dinner with friends and family. We found all the staffs are very friendly and pleasant. They have ayce dinner menu available for 20.95 & 24.95 with huge selections. At the end we also order both the banana fry and mango pudding for desserts, NICE. Definitely will come back.

1  Thank airforceone1966

Reviewed July 2, 2012

We sat outside on the deck on the second floor looking out over English Bay and the streets below. That is the main reason we chose this restaurant. The weather was comfortable and we watched the sun set between the buildings.

The restaurant is a little dated but the food and service were fine.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

If you've never had good sushi and you don't care about service, you'll think Tanpopo is fine.
I was recently lured to Tanpopo by friends who wanted to sit on the patio, and the experience was even worse than my memory of past visits there (I must have blocked them from my mind). In summary, the service is atrocious and the food is overpriced. On this particular visit, the servers never came by to take our orders (we had to walk up to the kitchen/bar to order our food and drinks), the dirty dishes were never cleared off our tables (we put them on the empty table next our ours), and our orders never fully arrived as we placed them (typical All You Can Eat Scam). With such poor service and low quality food, I would expect to pay low prices, but Tanpopo charges way higher than it's worth. My meal alone (I ordered the cheapest AYCE dinner with one glass of wine) cost $36 before tax and tip (although I didn't tip because I received no service, and never got my moneys worth of all you can eat because they never brought my full order). If you want good value, go up the street to Davie where you'll find Yuko Maki (they have a great $8 special and the sushi is decent quality), or Downtown Sushi, or Kadoya or Samurai Sushi - none of them have patios, but get takeout, grab a bottle of wine from Marquis or the liquor store, and have a picnic at English Bay. You'll get good value, you'll enjoy your food, have the best view, and you won't feel scammed by the brutal sushi/service combo from Tanpopo.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Made the mistake of going here for AYCE dinner. Over the years we have been several times and we've always been underwhelmed. Today was a sunny day, and looking for a patio we decided to try tanpopo again. Not a good idea. The service was terrible, and while the food was not great, it would have been bearable if the service had been ok. But we never had anyone take drink orders, we had to get up several times to track a server down to order or get utensils etc. We had to request wasabi, which took so long that we were sitting there staring at our sushi waiting to eat. The couple next to us left after waiting a long time for their food and in hindsight we should have done the same. It wasn't until we'd been there for an hour and a half and asked for the bill that anyone asked how our meals were; when we said we were disappointed by the service, we were told our server was new, and were promised "it would never happen again". However they gave us no incentive to go back. With so many sushi options in Vancouver, there is no way we'll ever be back.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Everytime I am in Vancouver, going to Tanpopo is one of the first things I do.
Great place (sit on the roof top patio), friendly service and excellent value.

By far my favourite Sushi place all over the globe.

2  Thank Rafael_Baur