“Food is far below par, and service is poor”

Rodney's Oyster House
Ranked #36 of 3,868 Restaurants in Vancouver
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Yaletown & False Creek North
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I'm pretty honest and nice with my reviews, but this place is a mockery of seafood and restaurants. Came here for a Christmas dinner, and the service was very slow, and the waitor was pretty rude. The food was dry and bland, and overall felt like I was eating at a super-dodgy red lobster (but even worse). The portions are very small, and the seafood is absolutely not fresh at all. They overcook everything, and again, the service is pretty poor.

Probably one of the worst experiences I've had at a restaurant in a few years. You'd expect for the price you pay, you'd get a nice meal, but definitely nothing close to it. I always give restaurants another chance, but I'll make an exception here, and never go back here ever again.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Went to Rodney's mid afternoon with 3 friends for beers and snacks. Fun place great staff..you almost feel you are in a different city. Good vibe and good food. I had to buy some of their hot sauce.Highly recommend

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Tucked away in Yaletown. This place is a locals favorite. Fun atmosphere and service, along with an amazing selection of fresh oysters and fish. Prices are reasonable.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Both my wife and I do not eat oysters but.... The food was fresh. The service was informal but attentive. We enjoyed the drinks, the ambiance and the informality.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

It's been many years since we had eaten at Rodney's so on our recent trip back to Vancouver, we decided to check it out and see if it was still as good as we remembered. This place is still fantastic.

It was a Friday night, super busy, but we were able to secure a spot at the counter after 20 minutes of waiting. We weren't super hungry so all we had was a dozen oysters, a bucket of steamed clams, a bottle of pinot gris, and some dessert. I love that when we asked our waiter Nick for an oyster menu, he smiled and told us they don't do oyster menus since the selection changes daily. He asked us how many and asked what kinds we typically liked and he came back with a fantastic selection. They have 6-7 different sauces for the oysters ranging from mild to spicy, sweet, sour, mustardy. Simply awesome...I was sad we weren't hungry enough to order more!

The atmosphere is very laid back and the service was great. It was a very wonderful way for us to spend our last evening in Vancouver.