“breakfast” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Have gone there for several years, once or twice a week. Best low-priced breakfast in town. Very busy, wide variety of clientele. Breakfast time on weekends, sometimes on weekdays, will produce a line-up. Combination of booths and small tables.

Breakfast includes fried potatoes, two eggs, variety of toasts, the usual bacon/ham/sausage option, coffee for about 4.50. Service is good. Eggs prepared as you like, they nearly always get it just right. Breakfast served all day.

Chinese and standard burgers, etc. available, specials every day.

Service is brisk and business-like, efficient but polite. Regulars get coffee/ refills for themselves and often for others.

Parking is tricky, may have to walk a couple of blocks. Bus service on Nanaimo and Broadway busses.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

“Good Cheap Breakfast!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is not the Pan Pacific or Banff Springs Hotel breakfast for $30, but it is $2.99 for the breakfast special (add $1 for coffee and you are out the door for less than $5.00).

I usually have the eggs, brown toast, bacon with pan fried potatoes and a cup of coffee. When they are not busy, your coffee gets refilled by the staff; otherwise you can help yourself at the coffee or water station. If you have never been there before, you may find it odd that they will ask if you want a menu when you sit down (As most people just seem to have the special).

Sure the booths are a bit run down and its not in the trendiest neighborhoods, but that adds to the character. If you have traveled to Europe and just wanted a simple breakfast, you would find many places like this, but not with these prices! So unless you dine exclusively at high end establishments or chain restaurants you can pass on this joint and let the locals have their regular seats.

So walk on in and find yourself a seat and enjoy a good breakfast with friends in this cool little diner.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kamloops, Canada
“Cheap Breakfast! a Happy Place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

If you want to see the Commercial drive cool crowd, get a massive breakfast for super cheap... and you are not in a hurry, you should go at least once. Keep in mind that the rules are .. if you want a coffee refill, you help yourself and then pour for anyone else who holds up their cup... kinda fun if you ask me...

Visited February 2012
“Funky breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Probably the most popular breakfast place in East Vancouver. Cheap and funky. Some go to meet friends, others to watch people. And the price of breakfast includes unlimited coffee (unlike most places which advertise a cheap breakfast, then charge $2.50 extra for the coffee).

Visited November 2012
Nanaimo, Canada
“Filthy Disgusting- no longer a good safe place to eat”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have eaten at Bon's for years. I used to love the atmosphere and good reasonably priced home cooked food.Recently after a year away from Vancouver I brought some friends to "Bon's" for breakfast. Upon entering I noticed how run down and smelly it had become... We found a "dirty" table with food scraps,sticky jam, and who knows what else on the table.The owners son (a few years older than I remember him) asked (pressured us) for our order... I asked him for a menu as my friends were not "regulars" and did not know the menu off by heart. I asked to have the table wiped but he non nonchalantly walked away- He asked three times in less than 5 minutes if we were ready to order-we still had not received menus or been able to convince him that our table needed a wipe. I eventually got up crossed the restaurant and asked the other waitress for a cloth that I could wipe our table with.She gladly offered up the cleaning cloth in her hand- I made it back to our table when i noticed the odor emulating from the cloth-I tried to wipe the table but everyone swayed back to avoid the smell. I felt gross, so I proceeded to the washroom to was my hands- the urinal was leaking urine into a bucket-the place was beyond disgusting.. I didn't even dare touch the faucet as it looked like it had not been cleaned in years.I returned to the table and ask the females in our group to survey the washroom. they returned and we left without eating-I will never return. The owners son obviously has no clue or just doesn't care. The place is beyond dirty. What surprised me was that the health board has not closed this place down or forced it the shape up...I can only imagine what the kitchen looks like.

• Visited October 2012