“Great Sea Food. Excellent Service”
Review of YEW seafood + bar

YEW seafood + bar
Reserve with OpenTable
YEW seafood + bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 3,942 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Howe & West Georgia
Description: YEW seafood + bar is one of the city's premier seafood restaurants, delivering exceptionally delicious cuisine, great wines, innovative cocktails and a fun, welcoming environment for guests — all wrapped in legendary Four Seasons service. Perched at treetop level in Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver, YEW's chic space, communal table and bar make it the perfect place to bring your social network.
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We ate twice at Yew. The sea food here is excellent as well as the bar food.

We ordered grilled trout, which was excellent and we also got crab tacos both were excellent. The bar staff was amazing and was happy to prepare (and improvise very well) the drink my partner had once drank called "poison berry". They were extremely attentive and great conversationist.

Our server both times was a gentleman (whose name I forget) who was extremely and great at recommending dishes and having them catered to our dietary requirements. A great experience all in all.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Our meal at Yew was amazing from start to finish. They have an extensive wine selection across a wide range of price points. My brother and I benefited from a promotion for 1/2 off bottles of wine as well! While the size (in relation to the price) of our appetizer selection - the BC prawns - was disappointing, they were delicious. And from looking around at the other dinners, it seemed other appetizers were more generously portioned. The west coast Paella was amazing and the trout with gnocchi was perfection! And the service was spot-on as well. Despite a busy kitchen and limited staff in the bar area, we felt well attended to. We were not in any rush, however the waiter apologized for our lengthy wait time between courses and ended up compensating us for our dessert. Speaking of dessert, make sure to try the rhubarb ice cream!!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We had dinner here and everything about the whole experience was brilliant. We both had sable fish which was done to perfection. There was also a good range for vegetarians as well. The waiter we had was excellent as she explained everything and knew also a lot about the wine list. The décor in this restaurant is first class. Can say much more than it was great and will definitely be back.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I was laughed at by my companions but I like to have a mixture of fish and meat at a meal.

I chose my food of the "Specials" menu. The appetizer was a well executed crab cake which while not extraordinary was very well executed.My main course was a very tender perfectly cooked (for me) rare steak om a potato base laced with crab. While I was expecting more crab this again was a perfectly executed dish. Safe to say, I have never had better steak in a fish restaurant (which I suspect is the mark of a really good kitchen).

We never had the full attention of our server, but any wait was worth it in terms of the food we received. Generally a great atmosphere, and well suited to a casual business meal.

Would I go again? Certainly!!. And more than that, I would actually be prepared to pay next time!!!!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Arriving for an early meal (6 pm) at Yew, I discussed my son’s vegetarianism with the wonderful waiter, so that we could be sure my son’s needs were met. What followed was a sensitive discussion and guidance, so that if the salmon biscuits touching the herb biscuits had been a problem, they could have been whisked away to be replaced by herb only. My wish for a little wine was treated with deference, and I was not expected to become sozzled or encouraged to do so by a heavy hand on the pouring. When we needed to leave to get to our play, the bill appeared and was settled expeditiously. Our waiter was chatty when we wanted distraction or information and disappeared as we talked and didn’t want to be interrupted.

And the food! Great range of choices. The wine selection, presented on an iPad, was overwhelming.... the waiter provided guidance through it, but you could have allowed a half-hour to really consider all the choices profitably.

I had the most expensive lobster/lobster prix fix meal. It was light, delightful and balanced perfectly the textures as well as the flavours. Oh, yes, and they cheerfully made it without the bacon I don’t like. It was perfect. I would have it again in a heartbeat. My son had a cream sauce veggie pasta, but was also offered the opportunity to create a meal if none of the vegetarian/vegan menus pleased him.

We had the good luck to go on a Sunday, when wine was on half-price. What a great idea! I hope they do this sale all the time.

We intend to go back and take other family members. Maybe also on a Sunday...