“Ultra-Hip Japanese Dining Experience”
Review of Guu Original

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Description: Authentic Japanese cuisine in a fun and electric atmosphere. Try this restaurant for the fantastic food and experience.
Reviewed August 4, 2016

This Japanese tapas-style restaurant opens at 5:30 to a line of people waiting for it to open. I have the impression that it takes reservations but we waited and walked in to get a table. There is a fair amount of counter space where many folks go to eat. The menu is varied, with very tasty soba and udon dishes, the whole fish was very tasty, the grilled marinated beef was tasty. We had sashimi salmon that was excellent.

Date of visit: July 2016
Write a reviewReviews (335)

Reviewed August 4, 2016

Place is very basic, no real decor or style to it.
Loved the fact they were playing 90s hiphop in the background.
Food was simple, fresh and very very tasty.
Service could be faster.

Reviewed August 3, 2016

I have been to a couple if the GUU establishments in Vancouver. This one is my favourite, maybe because it was my first. It is loud and bustling and the seats are not overly comfortable but all that goes away once you sit down and start your dining journey. (If you have a crowd larger than 4 you may be waiting a bit if the place is busy) The menu is English and Japanese and there are some very safe options as well as a few out of the ordinary on their standard menu. Having said that venture on and try a dish or two off the feature menu (this is always changing) and you will not be disappointed. The plates are fairly small (ask for a stir-fry rice that is not on the menu but they can make one and it will help fill you up) so if you are coming with a group prepare to order several dishes that give you a bite of two. Everything is reasonably priced so it is nice to be able to order several things to try.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed July 28, 2016

Went in early for a quick early lunch(11:45) so I got there before the rush. I sat at the bar by the kitchen and enjoyed watching the chefs prepare the food right in front of me. It is a small restaurant but they make the most of the space.

The service was great! The great you when you walk in and say goodbye when you leave. They kept my tea and water topped up the whole time.

The food was great I wish I could have tried more than one dish.

Reviewed July 23, 2016

This place was bustling and tough to fit into, but we wanted to try it because it was supposed to be an authentic Japanese dining experience. Expect a wait to get a table though. Their entire staff greeted us in Japanese with huge smiles and were extremely attentive and patient with us, as we had no clue what we were doing and had to ask many questions. They had a paper list of daily specials of their fresh fish and menu items for that day and we mainly stuck to it. I got adventurous and tried raw sea urchin sashimi. I can't say that I loved it, but I loved the fact that I tried it. extremely mushy and poignant fishy flavors. Will not be eating again. I also tried the black cod throat, which was lightly fried and pulled effortlessly right off the bone. extremely flavorful and so so good. We also tried the kabocha squash scotch egg. It is hard to explain but a layer of almost pumpkin-like squash is flattened out and rolled around an egg, and then lightly fried. Different and a complex flavor, but also very good. we tried several other dishes here as well, including an Udon pasta with beef. Overall, the meal was fantastic and the service was impeccable. A great dining experience.