“Mexican-run, but the food isn't even Taco Bell level”

La Casita Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #540 of 3,845 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Gastown
Reviewed June 15, 2013

What in the name of Pancho Villa have some of the other reviewers been eating who think that this ungodly overpriced slop is good Mexican food? I lived for more than 20 years in Southern California and spent entire months in Mexico, and I can assure you that the pile of sewage that passes for Mexican food in this joint wouldn't even qualify for Mexican Chihuahua Food.

The chips are served with two totally nondescript sauces and although I have a fairly good palate I couldn't discern any real flavors in either of them. The burritos are tiny and overpriced, the pastor meat was dried out and chewy, there was some green stuff mixed in with the cheese which might have been cilantro or spinach or mold for all I can tell, the frijoles are obviously right out of a can and here is the clincher... the rice. Take rice, way overcook it in some tomato sauce, toss in some frozen mixed vegetables... yes... mixed vegetables in the spanish rice... and serve to unsuspecting dolts who have been living in the Vancouver drizzle for too long and their minds and palates have rotted away!

In my over 50 years of dining I have never ever ever seen mixed veg in spanish rice. Somebody please take this place's business license away for felony first degree murder of Mexican cuisine.

The place is also way crammed so that you're elbow to elbow with the next table, the service isn't exactly quick (over 30 minutes just to get the chips on the table), the bathroom is full of flies, and the only way I'll go back there is if they drag my cold dead body there.

Giving them a poor instead of terrible as at least they didn't food poison me.

There are newer reviews for La Casita Mexican Restaurant

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We had a very enjoyable dinner at La Casita. Most meals come in two portion sizes (small or large), we opted for the 'small' and had plenty to eat. We were given complimentary tortilla with spicy dips immediately upon arrival and our server recommended the Pacifico Mexican beer that we found smooth and delicous.

Meal for two including three beers and decent tip came to Canadian $60, which seems pretty good value in a very touristy area.

One young couple at another table had the biggest Magarita that I've ever seen.

A fun evening with tasty food at a good price. Well worth trying if you are in the area.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Food good, portions generous, prices reasonable, fast service and nice atmosphere with young customers. Recommended!

1  Thank horatio1943
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We spent the weekend in Vancouver and were walking around the Gastown area if the city. Vancouver is not known for its Mexican food, but this is a great fun little restaurant. Very lively atmosphere. Food is pretty good. The vegetable chimichangas were surprisingly good. I would recommend this place if in town!!

1  Thank Guppy2000
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The food is nice, but overpriced. It's a fun atmosphere, and the waitress we had was very sweet. However, a friend discovered an industrial staple in his food, which he narrowly avoided eating. We pointed this out to the waitress who was apologetic. We were hoping for some sort of discount, or a beer on the house when the bill came, but nothing. When we asked the waitress about it, she said that the manager didn't think it was a big deal. We were quite put off that there was zero effort to remedy the situation, even a short visit by the manager would have been nice. This incident made me lose trust in the restaurant and I won't be returning.