“Not as good as before”

Neighborhood: West Point Grey
Abbotsford, Canada
“Not as good as before”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We had not been to Ginger and Chili for awhile so decided to go for dinner last night as we have previously had very good meals here. It was not busy last night when we went for dinner, there were only 2 tables occupied – l being a large table at the back of the restaurant. This is a small restaurant and it is nothing fancy so the ambiance is very basic but it is nice and clean. I’m more interested in the food than decor. Last night’s dinner was not as good as I remember from previous experiences here.

The service was very good. The waitress was prompt, refilled my husband’s water glass and asked how dinner was. We ordered the szechuan green beans and they were delicious. They were crisp and nice and spicy with garlic. General Tso’s chicken had way too much batter and the chicken pieces seemed to be pretty small for the most part. We have ordered this dish here before and the ratio of chicken to batter was much better and the chicken was moister. We also ordered prawns with black bean sauce and while it was tasty the dish was $15.95 and there were only about 12 very small prawns. The plate was heaped with green peppers and onions and you really had to search for the prawns. We finished off with mango flower which is basically mango ice cream in the shape of a flower. The ice cream was very bland. Altogether dinner was $52.00 for 3 dishes, rice and ice cream. It’s not badly priced but the food was disappointing compared to what we’ve had previously.

I would give it another try and hope that last night was just an off night.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank vbrother

Toronto, Canada
“Just the ticket after not having a decent Asian restaurant within 800 km”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

OK - so, I could probably have tracked down somewhere good in Boston/Cambridge, or New York city, but I was in Vancouver after a brief stopover in Toronto, and I was dying for decent Chinese food. On pretty much every visit in the last several years, to friends and colleagues in Vancouver, I eat here at some point.

But, I have never felt quite so desperate, as I felt, after spending several months in rural Massachusetts, without good Asian food nearby. My Brazilian colleague, a world traveller, and amazing cook in her own right, enjoyed the food enormously. Our other friend and colleague lives in Vancouver, and Ginger and Chili is one of her regular dining spots.

It was great food and it's great value. I hope it's still there next time I am in Vancouver.

• Visited February 2012
BC
“Consistent quality and quantity”
Reviewed December 25, 2011

This is a family operated eatery that I always look forward to visiting. This is not a fancy upscale room, but a neighbourhood icon that has earned a trusted reputation. Jenny and her staff work hard to bring the food fresh and hot every time. The food is consistently good and well-portioned, and the menu widely varied. Prices are reasonable. If you are in the UBC/Point Grey area, and are in the mood for reliable and reasonably-priced Chinese cuisine, give Ginger and Chili a try.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank happywandererBC
Vancouver BC
“This place is the staple of my diet :)”
Reviewed April 16, 2011

EXCELLENT food and service, been eating here for several years. The staff now recognize us and always remember my favorite dishes! The food is prepared with TLC in this family operation and it's always delicious. Not once have we not liked all of it! The green beans are their signature dish I'd say, definitely the best in Vancouver.

1 Thank VncrCanada
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great casual Chinese food.”
Reviewed February 23, 2008

Great casual Chinese food.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook