“Oh yeah - just right”

Cuisines: Dutch
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Shaughnessy
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

I visited for a business breakfast and was very pleased with the experience. The decor is flat out Dutch paraphernalia from wall-to-wall. The service was near perfect. The coffee bottomless, and the food was very good. This isn't the Ritz, but the result is great.

3  Thank tenmile1

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Friendly staff, novel and interesting cuisine, and huge plates of food make for excellent value. Definitely try one of the Dutch Indonesian dishes for a taste of something different.

1  Thank juviall
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I really like how this restaurant makes their Apple Sugar Cinnamon and Whipped Cream pannekoeken. They dice the apples then cook them in the batter. I had this same dish at a few places in Amsterdam and its not quite the same. Often the apples are just a few slices and they are placed on top. This has been a family destination breakfast spot for a long time. Well done.

1  Thank seetastelove
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Every time I visit Vancouver I have to go to the Wooden Shoe (There is a photo of my husband and I on the wall as we used to be regulars when we lived in Vancouver)! The number 20 is my favorite and it's always better when John (the owner) is in the kitchen. I love this place!

1  Thank KMLloyd
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The Dutch Wooden Shoe Cafe is accurately described as a grungy hole-in-the-wall... maybe a little more grungy than I'd prefer my food to be served from.

I'm told people rave about the pannekoek served there (not a fan of pancakes myself), but without question I'll believe the urban legend as the pannekoek listing can't be described as anything less than extensive and is obviously the thing to order.

I, on the other hand, was not dazzled by the daunting number of pannekoek offerings and settled on one of the two Eggs Benedict varieties they listed on the menu. I have to say that I wasn't impressed with my meal (pretty bland but the serving size was generous) though it was reasonably priced, and hope the magic of the Shoe lay in its famous pannekoeks.

I'm all for a whole-in-the-wall, but I'll not give this place a second thought next time in town.

1  Thank JustMeB