“Yum!”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Gastown
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We enjoyed their unique menu and friendly service. Not a lot for vegetarians, but my husband found a few things to nibble on. I can't remember what it was called, but his favorite meatless dish was the rice with mushrooms and cheese. I really enjoyed my sake mojito, too!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We were looking forward to the fun izakaya atmosphere but were disappointed this version of the Guu restaurants. Part of enjoying this style of restaurant is to be able to hop around the menu and sample things. Our server was charming but couldn't explain the menu at all.The people at the next table had no idea what to order so I was able to revert to some of my restaurant Japanese and help them out. They ordered a "house special" drink that didn't show up until after their main course.
We tried a several dishes and the agemono ,deep fried, dishes were dried out through their center, definitely overcooked or reheated. In Japan this kind of a dish is a delicious no brainer.
we saw that Vancouver was loaded with every kind of Japanese restaurant so there's no reason to settle for a place run like this no matter what it's name is.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I have eaten at original Guu on Thurlow and it is very enjoyable.

This Guu has much better location in Gastown and a great exposed brick and beam room with an interesting bar seating. Food is inventive, fun and very good. Try yam fries, yes I said yam fries. They are real slices of yam in a wonderful broth served with shredded cheese in a hot stone bowl ... mix it up and yum. We ordered from the fresh sheet although regulars were picking menu standards. The three sake sampler is very generous and a good wander through the world of sake.

BUT, the service. Very friendly young people with the Guu shouting of orders and greetings ... okay. Two items in our order never arrived and one was so late we thought it had been forgotten. I drank a whole flight of sake waiting. It is cafe style ... communication may sound like stuff was happening but wires were definitely crossed therefore only average rating.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We ate here during our stay in Vancouver. The restaurant itself is very busy, no doubt due to it's popularity. As we were leaving there were a number of people lining up waiting to get in, so I am glad we got there early. There is a wonderful atmosphere with all exposed wooden beams inside the restaurant, and the staff all appear to be Japanese, or at least speak Japanese. The only downside I could find was that due to being such a popular place, it was absolutely full as anything, and was quite noisy. The food itself was fantastic- the best priced Japanese food we have ever eaten (Japanese food in Perth, Australia is pretty expensive). We loved the quantity of Sashimi which we ordered, and it was cut in such thick slices. It is definitely worth visitng this restaurant if you are a fan of Japanese.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We were visiting Vancouver and stumbled on the Guu restaurant in Gastown. It is a fun place with a great energy. As you arrive they announce your arrival and welcome in Japanese. The food is good quality and we enjoyed the sashimi plate and the specialty meal of tuna and avocado in 5 sauces was memorable. the sake mojitos were delicious.

2  Thank jackirmic