“Worst dining experience in a long time”
Review of Nyala African Cuisine - CLOSED

Cuisines: African, Ethiopian, Moroccan
Neighborhood: South Main
Neighborhood: South Main
Vancouver, Canada
“Worst dining experience in a long time”
Reviewed September 27, 2011

We went to Nyala last week. I was dreaming of yummy injeera and curry and wow, did I get an awakening! The injeera felt like sandpaper: Injeera usually is served in rolls (in other places where I've dined) but these ones were flat and falling to pieces because they were so dry! It felt like they had made it 3 days ago and put it in the microwave to warm it.

We ordered the yeshimbera (chickpea cakes) which tasted like mini hockey pucks. They were so dry you could choke on them if you didn't take your time to chew properly! The only items that were okay were the ingudie watt (yellow split peas) and the gomen watt (chopped greens).

We came out of the restaurant without finishing the injeera (which is the first, usually we ask for more!) or the mini hockey pucks. We half thought that we could take those back for slingshot material! We were terribly disappointed because what is ethiopian food if your injeera is bad! It's like going to a Chinese restaurant and the congee is burnt! The price is too high for the quality of food and the ambience is not that great either. It feels like they've just stock their shelves with items that cannot be stored anywhere else so they can create some kind of decor in the restaurant.

I don't eat meat so I don't know how good those dishes are. But if you're going for injeera and vegetarian options, go to Harambe on Commercial Drive. They're a LOT better.

• Visited September 2011

“Amazingly Delicious!!”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My mom and I decided to try Nyala last week, as I had never had African food before. I honestly was not sure what to expect. Wow...was I ever impressed!! We ordered 2 entrees, and as a result received 2 compliementary salads to start. The Azifa Lentil and Tabloueh salads were delicious. A short time later, the entrees arrived. We had ordered the Yedoro Tibs (chicken with red & green peppers and onions) and the Scallops with this peri peri sauce that was to die for!! We both could not stop commenting on how impressed we were with both the quality and taste of the dishes. They were spiced to perfection. I was a little worried that since we chose mild spice that it would compromise the taste, but that was not the case at all. I can honestly say that my meal here was one of the best I have had...ever! Definitely worth checking out!!

• Visited September 2011
Vancouver, Canada
“Stomach craves for more!”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Nyala Restaurant serves the tastiest African food in the city. We started out with the appetizer platter special (hummus, pakoras and calamari) and it was delicious we wiped the plate clean. Then for entree we ordered the Moroccan Tagines since we've never tried that before and it was again amazingly flavourful. Seeing as we couldn't pass the opportunity to eat with our hands (although cutlery was provided) we order some Ethiopian injera and stews to share. After our meal we weren't sure we could eat more but then we saw the dessert menu and heard that they make their cheesecake and brandy pecan tart in house so we followed our noses and got one of each! Oh man they were so tasty and such a great way to eat a well worth it feast.
I know that now they have some great live music most nights so we're planning our next trip soon.
Hope you enjoy it too!

• Visited July 2011
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Hmm... it sure is different! Had a lamb dish, very rich in spices, but not a hint of savoury or sweetness. Different!”
Reviewed October 9, 2008

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Yummy curry but that carpet-like bread turned me off.”
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Yummy curry but that carpet-like bread turned me off.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook