“Be Back Soon”

Ranked #18 of 54 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Be Back Soon”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay here! From the moment I opened the beautiful front door to relaxing in the lovely garden the next morning. My bed was so comfortable and the room was very clean. I'm a young Kiwi Living in Australia and the waffles with Canadian maple syrup and raspberries for breakfast were a real treat. Close to cafes and a few minutes to the beach and the owner was very welcoming :) If you're looking for a quiet place on a business trip or a home for the weekend I would highly recommend this B&B

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jordan D
HouseOnDunbar, Owner at House On Dunbar B&B, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
It would be so great to see you and one of my favorite people again.
I understand that CONGRATULATIONS are in order.
My Best to all three of you!
Joanne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lahaina, Hawaii
Reviewed August 1, 2012

The owner has done a very good job of retrofitting her home to accommodate guests. My suite on the second floor was cheerful and bright with a very comfortable bed and attractive bathroom.
The kitchen in the walkout lower floor was essential for my needs, and had a nice sitting room with computer desk. Mrs. Renwick, the owner, was friendly without being intrusive. I found the spiral staircase a little bit narrow for getting my luggage upstairs, but I am known for not travelling lightly! I love the Dunbar area and the street is quiet and safe.

Room Tip: My preference would be to stay on the second floor, for privacy and excellent light.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Linda-
It always thrills me when I receive a reservation from you.
I love getting caught up with you, your two daughters and four granddaughters.
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Well, this place does the three important things:

- very good breakfast
- comfortable bed
- easy contact and any service you need

It is a bit pricy, but more or less the Vancouver standard price range. If you dislike ordinary hotel life and like close contact to locals Canadian, thats the place you will have to go for. You are set a little off downtown, but you can enjoy a nice neighborhood, lots of green and just few minutes to the beach.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
I am happy that you chose House On Dunbar as your location to relax.
Vancouver has the second highest real estate prices in the world; this is reflected in the pricey accommodation rates.
This location has been my home for 30 years. I find it very pleasant also.
Thank you for your visit.
Reviewed July 25, 2011

While in a very pleasant neighbourhood, this home does not seem to have been renovated with guests comfort im mind. Two of the "suites" and the "social areas" are on the lower level (half height below grade) & are cold & damp. The surfaces everywhere are hard, which robs any chance at coziness & makes for a noisy ambience (including the clattering of plates & cutlery from the owners kitchen upstairs.) The Kitsilano Suite was shockingly small, with a bathroom not adjoining & so damp that our towels didn't really ever dry. The bathroom was cursorily cleaned only once in 4 days, & linens were never changed. Floors were not cleaned or swept.

Even worse, construction was in full force. The supposedly lovely & peaceful garden was ccompletely torn apart, & the sitting room had areas walled off with plastic & furniture in dissaray. When we politely asked for a discount at the
end of our stay, as we hadn't been forewarned, we were variously told that it wasn't that bad, that "hotels don't give you a discount when they are doing construction," & that we were hardly there, anyway. We were finally, grudgingly, given a very small discount. Far from being a "luxurious" & indulgent place to stay, (as is repeatedly described in the literature & advertising) we
were uncomfortable & felt like
afterthoughts rather than guests. The design & finishes are not firstrate, & some in fact are looking tired. The kitchen is cluttered & not spotlessly clean. To sum up, another couple, who was staying in the one upstairs room, cut short their stay. If you need any further reason to steer clear of this place, pay attention to the owner's written responses to critical reviews
on this site!

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank colourfab
CDA1734, Owner at House On Dunbar B&B, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Although I had just completed a major reno to my private kitchen, NO RENOS WERE DONE IN MY GUESTS AREA whatsoever. There was some painting done on one corner of my guests social area while you visited but this painting was done only after your consent was obtained.
A gazebo was added to my yard while you visited but over 3/4 of the yard was available for you to use, including a new Zen water fountain.
Two guests rooms are located at garden level but this is 7% below grade, not 50% as you state. Also, the guests social area is very bright and sunny as it is south facing with a long row of skylights and full length sliding glass doors and windows.
Many of your statements are addressed on my website. It would be better if you had viewed the photos and read the information before reserving rather than complain after the fact.
It is obvious from your comments that you do not enjoy a contemporary design. Once again, it is evident in the photos on my website that the decor in my B&B is contemporary.
I am strongly committed to my guests and guarantee that I do my very best to provide for your comfort and happiness.
However, if you do not provide me with information that something is amiss until you leave, I am not able to rectify a situation.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2010

House on Dunbar provides very good quality B & B accoomodation in a residential area of Vancouver. Once you get the hang of the local buses (with a stop very near at hand) there are good connections downtown and to the university area where the great Museum of Anthropology is situated. Mrs Renwick is a helpful host and provides a vast and interesting breakfast. Well recommended if you don't want to stay downtown.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julian1943
Thank you for your recommendation.
I hope you visit again.
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Joanne was a fantastic hostess who all but made our trip! She was so inviting as well as accommodating. It was very obvious that she was busy most of the day, as she had two other rooms full as well with other guests and is the only person working. That being said, she often took the time to come down to chat to us about our day, but was by no means overbearing in the slightest. She was very knowledgable about Vancouver, how to get around and things to do in and outside of the neighbourhood. She was incredibly helpful! There was a French couple staying there that did not speak much English. Joanne's daughter speaks fluent French and we saw that she was around a few times to help out with communication between the hostess and the couple. She was a lovely girl, we could tell she had grown up in good surroundings and had a good head on her shoulders - a testament to her parents!

oh! and the breakfast!!!!!!! To die for!!!! Everything was so fresh and delicious! Fruit salad - not the kind that only has melons either. All fresh fruits of the season: plums, blueberries, nectarines, cherries, and mangoes! The cooked breakfasts were also fantastic. quiches, omelettes. all with health conscious and hearty ingredients. We stayed for 6 days, and she never repeated a breakfast once!

We definitely recommend Joanne's B & B, one of the better one's my husband and I have been to!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
I enjoyed chatting with you also.
Please visit again.
Seattle
Reviewed July 23, 2010

An impromptu trip up north from Seattle to Vancouver left us scurrying for the "right" accommodations. Weekends away are rare and therefore precious. Joanne, our hostess, was gracious and responsive. The accommodations felt like home; cozy, accessible, very clean and in a quiet neighborhood - as though we never left Seattle at all.

We brought bicycles and Joanne was kind enough to assist us in storing them safely on property. Her Quiche and subsequent waffles are memorable in the best of ways.

Having cycled through downtown and other neighborhoods, I don't think I'd enjoy staying elsewhere as much as I did in Dunbar. We would stay there again without hesitation as long as Joanne is running the ship.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
I plan to run this ship for many years to come.
Hope to see you again when Vancouver beckons you.