“The Bathrooms smell like an outhouse and spoiled the entire meal”

Al Porto Ristorante
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Cambie
Transit: Just steps away from the Waterfront station.
Description: Gastown's popular Water Street is alive with the taste of another era. Meander down the cobbled sidewalk and stumble across a true find, the uniquely situated Al Porto Ristorante. Spacious yet cozy, the room is as distinct as the cuisine that defines the rich flavour and culture of Italy. Candlelight and a warm welcome await you as you cross through the iron-gate.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The bathrooms were so smelly - as bad as a busy outhouse in summer - that I gagged and then could not eat my meal. I was totally turned off by the bathroom experience that I was incapable of doing more that making an attempt to at least taste some of the meal that I had ordered so that my table companions could try to enjoy their meals. I would never return to the place and would not recommend it. If the bathrooms are that bad, how is the kitchen?

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (615)

Reviewed September 6, 2019 via mobile

We accidentally came across this place today whilst we were searching somewhere nice for lunch and boy are we glad we did!
We enjoyed a 3 course lunch with complimentary freshly made Italian bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Food was so delicious! Portion sizes very generous. Service was fantastic. First decent coffee we’ve had in a month of travelling Canada.
Very upmarket place without the exorbitant prices. Maître d was excellent. Very friendly and very good at his job.
Shame we are flying back to Australia tonight otherwise we would be back every week!

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed September 6, 2019

The food is always delicious every time I visit this restaurant - I always tend to order the same thing as I enjoy it so much. There was a little bit of problem with the waiter in that I ordered butter (instead of using the oil) and I had to ask 3 different people (including our waiter) before I got it. The other thing, my friend ordered the minestrone soup and got the special of mushroom soup. Once we got the waiter's attention, it was changed. The other disappointing thing was the washroom. There are 4 stalls - 1 had a lock, but no toilet paper; 2 stalls had a non-working lock; that left 1 stall that had a lock and toilet paper. Also one of the stalls did not have a hanger to hang a purse or whatever on. It wouldn't take much to fix - add another lock! Definitely needed some maintenance here.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed September 5, 2019

This restaurant is located in Gastown, right on Water Street. They have a very good menu. The four of us had different dishes, and everyone was very happy with their food. Go early for their specials. Service was very good. Prices reasonable.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed August 27, 2019

My wife and I strolled to Gastown from the Loden Hotel in Downtown and thoroughly enjoyed the evening in this pleasant restaurant. Food was excellent, I had oysters followed by Cioppino and my wife was very pleased with her lamb dish. All washed down by a nicely chilled New Zealand Sav'. Service was great and our waiter even chased after us along the street to return my camera which I had left hanging on the back of my seat - so grateful for his honesty and for making the effort.

Date of visit: July 2019