“Almost missed it”

Al Porto Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Al Porto Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #101 of 3,751 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Gastown
Cross street: Cambie
Transit: Just steps away from the Waterfront station.
Description: Gastown's popular Water Street is alive with the taste of another era. Meander down the cobbled sidewalk and stumble across a true find, the uniquely situated Al Porto Ristorante. Spacious yet cozy, the room is as distinct as the cuisine that defines the rich flavour and culture of Italy. Candlelight and a warm welcome await you as you cross through the iron-gate.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Almost missed it”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My wife and I were staying at the Fairmont Waterfront after a cruise, and decided to wander over to Gastown to see what we could find for dinner. We nearly walked by the place, if I hadn't noticed the signboard and menu as we were going past I would have missed it entirely. And would we have ever missed out.

The restaurant is in the basement of a building, and the decor is quite fun with the exposed arches in the ceiling. There's some natural light from windows in the back of the room and the restaurant is rustic feeling and quite intimate.

But the draw here is really the food. This is some of the better Italian I've ever had, possibly the best. And it didn't even cost me an arm and a leg. Everything was very fresh, well seasoned and extremely tasty. We both had pasta dishes and I'd be hard pressed to find better pasta anywhere. Cooked to a perfect al dente with flavourful sauces and just beautiful to behold. And the mozarrella sticks for an appetizer were amazing.

We'll definitely back if we're in Vancouver again.

• Visited May 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ottawa
“Great potential”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We chose this place while walking into Gastown so no expectations. The decor was impressive, the waiter seemed very helpful and knowledgable. I chose the veal saltimbocco. The meal was very tasty, but I found the meat to be dry or overcooked. My colleague enjoyed his meal. I had the crime brûlée for dessert - very good. Overall, very good but not outstanding.

Visited May 2013
Kelowna, Canada
“Birthday Blues”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We ate here for my husbands birthday. The food was quite bland and tasteless. I had seafood risotto and expected it to be fabulous given that Vancouver is a coastal city. The seafood itself was beautifully cooked but the risotto was lacking in flavour.The service was lovely and attentive.

Visited May 2013
Prince George, Canada
“Superb food and service”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We just picked this restaurant as we were walking down the street in Gastown. It was fabulous. The wine was delicious as was the food. The presentation was outstanding and the service superb. The only thing that could have been better was the wobbly table - the waiter tried to fix it but after a couple glasses of wine we got used to it. Will definitely go there on my next trip to Vancouver.

• Visited April 2013
Edmonton
“reviews looked good”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Nice reception , great waiter. Alas the food was mediocre. Probably would not go back. I see reviews of this restaurant tend to disappear ? WTF. Not that highly rated on line.

• Visited April 2013