“Much better this time!”

All India Sweets & Restaurant
Ranked #1,687 of 4,098 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Neighborhood: Little India / Punjabi Market
Description: All India Sweets & Restaurant serves authentic East Indian delicacies and cuisine in the middle of the Punjabi Market in South Vancouver.
Reviewed September 1, 2016

We visited this place a few months ago and were not overly impressed. This time, however, there was a significant improvement in quality of food.

Steve R, Manager at All India Sweets & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2016

We're always trying to improve, so I'm thrilled to hear your latest visit was a good one! Hope you'll join us for another meal soon.

Best,

Reviewed August 22, 2016

We did not do the buffet, but ordered Coconut chicken and Chicken Curry, medium spicy, with rice, and naan. It was very good and I would go there again for Indian food. Didn't try the sweets but there were sure a lot of them.

The coconut chicken is one of my favorites, so good choice! Although, you can't go wrong with chicken curry either. And I hope next time you can try some of our sweets!

Thanks,

Reviewed August 8, 2016 via mobile

As I have enjoyed the cuisine in India, the dishes here taste more bland and are the basic quality. The fresh salad was unusual as it had no greens! Raw onions, green peppers, cucumbers and a few other veggies were very refreshing.

1  Thank ilovetravel13

We want our dishes to be as authentic as possible, so I'm sorry you haven't been impressed by them. You're always welcome to request spicier food, and I hope we can help you find something on the menu you'll love next time.

Best,

Reviewed July 5, 2016

My wife had the lunch buffet with an addition of chicken curry. The dishes were of mixed quality, with raita being the most notably better than average quality--very creamy. My wife was very disappointed in the chicken curry. I had vegetable samosas, which were served witth a garbanzo side instead of the usual tamarind and mint chutneys. The samosas were wll cooked and packed with vegetables, mostly (as usual) potatoes. I also had my other Indian favorite, palak paneer (with a pretty good chapati, instead of rice). It was very tasty but the spinach seemed to have been pureed in an overactive blender, and the paneer was not too plentiful. Overall, it was a pleasant meal in a very friendly atmosphere.

Steve R, Manager at All India Sweets & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2016

It's wonderful to hear you enjoyed the visit overall, Ken! I wish your dishes had been a more consistent quality but I appreciate the feedback. It's always important to us that everyone leaves completely satisfied with the meal. We'd love to welcome you both back again soon!

Best wishes,

Reviewed April 15, 2016

I went out for dinner with my spouse, daughter and son-in-law on this Saturday evening.

It has been awhile since I have eaten East Indian food. My initiation into Indian food is limited to butter chicken, lentils, pakoras, samosa, spicy potato patties (alu tikki). I decided on the buffet since it gave me a chance to try a little of everything.

All 4 of us ordered the vegetarian buffet for $10.95. In addition, we ordered 2 meat dishes – butter chicken and curry goat at $4.95. I ordered the medium spicy just in case the “really” spicy would be too hot; should have ordered the extra hot as the medium spicy was not that hot. The other 2 meat options were curry lamb and curry chicken.

The curry goat and butter chicken were disappointing because of the small amount of meat in each order. On top of that, it was not “all you can eat”.

There are 2 tables – one with the salads and the other with the vegetarian dishes and 2 different types of sweets.

The buffet table included the following:
• Malai Kofta - Fresh grated vegetable balls made with gram flour cooked in a creamy sauce.
• Alu Gobi - Potatoes and cauliflower cooked in curry sauce, fresh onions and tomatoes.
• Chana Masala - Garbanzo beans (chick peas) cooked in Punjabi style curry sauce
• Punjabi Khadi - Indian yogurt curry with vegetable pakoras
• Daal Tarka - Lentils pan fried with garlic, ginger & onion sauce
• Biryani – Basmati rice
• Naan bread

The item that I really enjoyed was the Malai Kofta - fresh grated vegetable balls that reminded me of Falafel balls.

For dessert there was:
• Gulab Jamun - pastry balls made of dry milk, deep fried and dipped in honey syrup
• Jalebi – deep fried wheat flour batter soaked in sugar syrup

The dessert was really sweet. Nice to try but I couldn’t eat too much.

The few items I had were okay but it is something I would never consider coming back to this restaurant unless ordering from the regular dinner menu and something I’ve had before like samosas, pakoras and curry dishes.

My rating for the meal is 2.75 out of 5 – just okay.
Regardless, my daughter and son-in-law enjoyed the vegetarian buffet.

Notes & Tips

• Check out the restaurant website for the regular menu
• You can also order Indian sweets for takeout. See the photos
• We arrived around 6:30 on this Saturday night and the 90 plus seating area had may be 15-20 customers. There’s another Indian restaurant that also serves a buffet at the other corner – “Himalaya” that was not busy at all; at most 4-6 customers.
• Wheelchair access to the washroom is not very spacious. There are no bars in washrooms to hold on to if you have mobility issues.
• Metered street parking
• The Punjabi Market district is about a 3 block long area on Main Street between 49th and 52nd Avenue. This area has been in decline as some of the Punjabi businesses have moved out of this area to Surrey and Delta.

1  Thank Bottomshelfhockey
Steve R, Manager at All India Sweets & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2016

I'm happy your daughter and son-in-law enjoyed our buffet, but it's a shame you weren't totally impressed. For over thirty years, we've used the freshest ingredients and authentic recipes, so I'm deeply sorry if the curry goat and butter chicken left you dissatisfied. That said, we're always looking for ways to improve, so I appreciate your feedback. I hope we'll see you again soon, so we can have another chance to truly "wow" you.

All the best,