“Buffet not for me - 2.75 out of 5 rating”

All India Sweets & Restaurant
Ranked #1,684 of 4,098 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Neighborhood: Little India / Punjabi Market
Description: All India Sweets & Restaurant serves authentic East Indian delicacies and cuisine in the middle of the Punjabi Market in South Vancouver.
Reviewed April 15, 2016

I went out for dinner with my spouse, daughter and son-in-law on this Saturday evening.

It has been awhile since I have eaten East Indian food. My initiation into Indian food is limited to butter chicken, lentils, pakoras, samosa, spicy potato patties (alu tikki). I decided on the buffet since it gave me a chance to try a little of everything.

All 4 of us ordered the vegetarian buffet for $10.95. In addition, we ordered 2 meat dishes – butter chicken and curry goat at $4.95. I ordered the medium spicy just in case the “really” spicy would be too hot; should have ordered the extra hot as the medium spicy was not that hot. The other 2 meat options were curry lamb and curry chicken.

The curry goat and butter chicken were disappointing because of the small amount of meat in each order. On top of that, it was not “all you can eat”.

There are 2 tables – one with the salads and the other with the vegetarian dishes and 2 different types of sweets.

The buffet table included the following:
• Malai Kofta - Fresh grated vegetable balls made with gram flour cooked in a creamy sauce.
• Alu Gobi - Potatoes and cauliflower cooked in curry sauce, fresh onions and tomatoes.
• Chana Masala - Garbanzo beans (chick peas) cooked in Punjabi style curry sauce
• Punjabi Khadi - Indian yogurt curry with vegetable pakoras
• Daal Tarka - Lentils pan fried with garlic, ginger & onion sauce
• Biryani – Basmati rice
• Naan bread

The item that I really enjoyed was the Malai Kofta - fresh grated vegetable balls that reminded me of Falafel balls.

For dessert there was:
• Gulab Jamun - pastry balls made of dry milk, deep fried and dipped in honey syrup
• Jalebi – deep fried wheat flour batter soaked in sugar syrup

The dessert was really sweet. Nice to try but I couldn’t eat too much.

The few items I had were okay but it is something I would never consider coming back to this restaurant unless ordering from the regular dinner menu and something I’ve had before like samosas, pakoras and curry dishes.

My rating for the meal is 2.75 out of 5 – just okay.
Regardless, my daughter and son-in-law enjoyed the vegetarian buffet.

Notes & Tips

• Check out the restaurant website for the regular menu
• You can also order Indian sweets for takeout. See the photos
• We arrived around 6:30 on this Saturday night and the 90 plus seating area had may be 15-20 customers. There’s another Indian restaurant that also serves a buffet at the other corner – “Himalaya” that was not busy at all; at most 4-6 customers.
• Wheelchair access to the washroom is not very spacious. There are no bars in washrooms to hold on to if you have mobility issues.
• Metered street parking
• The Punjabi Market district is about a 3 block long area on Main Street between 49th and 52nd Avenue. This area has been in decline as some of the Punjabi businesses have moved out of this area to Surrey and Delta.

1  Thank Bottomshelfhockey
Steve R, Manager at All India Sweets & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2016

I'm happy your daughter and son-in-law enjoyed our buffet, but it's a shame you weren't totally impressed. For over thirty years, we've used the freshest ingredients and authentic recipes, so I'm deeply sorry if the curry goat and butter chicken left you dissatisfied. That said, we're always looking for ways to improve, so I appreciate your feedback. I hope we'll see you again soon, so we can have another chance to truly "wow" you.

All the best,

Reviewed March 8, 2016

This place is owned by Nepalese people. Most traditional Indian dishes are still on the menu, but the taste is not at all authentic. The service is fine, but the food needs improvement. Our friend who had not tasted Indian food before found it amazing, but we could not agree. Sweets are okay.

1  Thank W_H_Can
Steve R, Manager at All India Sweets & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2016

While I'm glad you enjoyed the service, I'm sorry you weren't impressed with the meal. We actually serve food from many different regions of India (but focus on East Indian delicacies) and have a team of specialty chefs from India preparing the dishes on-site from fresh, quality ingredients. We take great pride in our food and would love another opportunity to show you our best in the future.

Reviewed January 5, 2016

I usually stop by this restaurant for a meal at the vegetarian Indian buffet. It provides a filling meal that satisfies my cravings for indian food. This is not 'gourmet' but average food that fills you up. The price is very reasonable, and unlike some other buffets I have visited, they are generous with their pappadams and naan bread. The heat level is mild to medium for most dishes, and raita is available to help cool your palate. If you like some meat or chicken, there are dishes available with a supplement to the usual price. Best of all is the dessert - they have 4-star Gulab Jamun! I always end up buying some to take home. Oh and don't forget the boiled chai, which includes refills.

Steve R, Manager at All India Sweets & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2016

Glad you've been enjoying the vegetarian buffet! We can't thank you enough for the kind words, and I hope you'll be joining us for another meal again soon.

Reviewed December 13, 2015

Second time in, both on a Saturday night. The vegetarian buffet is great. This time we tried an add on meat dish...only good, not great. The VB had all the different varieties one could hope for. The Naan was excellent. Only thing I would have liked was maybe a samosa. As I am sure they would be difficult to keep in the buffet, maybe an Add-on. The table service and cashier were both friendly and efficient.

Steve R, Manager at All India Sweets & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2015

Hi, Yvonne! Thank you so much for joining us again, and I'm thrilled you enjoyed the buffet. We really appreciate the feedback, especially about the samosa. We'd love to have you stop in for another meal again soon!

Reviewed July 11, 2015

Awesome spot by Main and Fraser. About $10 CAD for a vegetarian buffet of authetic home cooked vegetarian dishes. For an extra $5 CAD there are some meat choices that can be added on. Although it looks like a small buffet, it is packed with flavor and there is variety. They have two desserts included with the buffet but if you enjoy indian sweets they have a large selection where you pay. It is kinda like a buffet of indian dishes, prices are very reasonable. Have been here many times and always get a delicious meal for a great price.

Steve R, Manager at All India Sweets & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2015

I'm happy to hear you're a fan of the buffet, Jenny! This is great feedback for us, and I can't wait to share your compliments with the team. We're all looking forward to welcoming you back again!

All the best,