“Great Indian food, west broadway's greatest secret” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings
Neighborhood: South Granville
Vancouver
“Great Indian food, west broadway's greatest secret”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

When city's always ask which restaurant has the greatest food... there is always a top 5 selection. Often these selections may be what's the trendiest restaurant, or which has lineup or is the best value... well Akbars is the tastiest, and is one of those secrets that only locals know about... and don't want to share lest it get overrun and people have to wait to get a table. The food here is always consistent: great butter chicken, lamb biryani, eggplant bharta, and an excellent razmali dessert... I've tried many dishes on the menu and have never been disappointed. Full of flavour, nicely seasoned, try it for yourself, just please don't recommend it too heavily... keep it a secret for locals to enjoy!

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Vancouver
“Great return to Indian cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

It had been over a year since I'd gone out to eat for Indian cuisine and my friend and I were not disappointed. We opted for mild-medium heat, as I was unsure on the strength of their spices. Often I request extra spice, but the flavours and preparation of the sauces was so delicious, I didn't miss the extra heat. I got to try a few dishes I haven't tried before and they were wonderful. I'd definitely return.

• Visited March 2012
Vancouver, BC
“Good Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Arrived without a reservation and was seated without any delay. The restaurant was not full on a Saturday night. Had the Chicken Tikka Masala and Butter Chicken with a side order of rice and naan. Overall the dinner was very good. The portions are not huge but it is enough for 2 people and is reasonably priced. The decor of the restaurant is very nice.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank spunkymo
Houston
“Delicious food - cozy restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

Akbar's Own was walking distance form our B&B and was recommended by its owner. We loved it so much we came twice during our 6 night stay. My wife had the Vegetable Korma and I had the Chicken Tikka and Butter Chicken and we had the vegetable and chicken Pakora. The atmosphere was cozy and the service was attentive. When we return to Vancouver, we'll be sure to go to Akbar's Own for another meal.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank tx_design
Vancouver, B.C.
“Why Wait in Line @ Vij's when You can Reserve @ Akbar's!?!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

Always a wonderful meal @ Akbar's continuing even with the new ownership. Mind you, I think that it was a touch better under the old management, but still an excellent experience all around. I don't know why anyone would wait in line for an hour to be seated at Vij's, when a table is always available for an advanced reservation at Akbar's Own?!?

The staff are pleasant, helpful and accommodating: always happy to individually tailor each dish to one's preferential level of spice and tastes. Although Maurya has the superior dining atmosphere, the food, quality and pricing are far superior here, albeit more casual.

Be sure to try the Lamb Vindaloo and the Fish Goa Curry as they are exceptional!

• Visited April 2011