“Great return to Indian cuisine” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #562 of 3,493 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Indian
Neighborhood: South Granville
Vancouver
“Great return to Indian cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

It had been over a year since I'd gone out to eat for Indian cuisine and my friend and I were not disappointed. We opted for mild-medium heat, as I was unsure on the strength of their spices. Often I request extra spice, but the flavours and preparation of the sauces was so delicious, I didn't miss the extra heat. I got to try a few dishes I haven't tried before and they were wonderful. I'd definitely return.

• Visited March 2012

Vancouver, BC
“Good Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Arrived without a reservation and was seated without any delay. The restaurant was not full on a Saturday night. Had the Chicken Tikka Masala and Butter Chicken with a side order of rice and naan. Overall the dinner was very good. The portions are not huge but it is enough for 2 people and is reasonably priced. The decor of the restaurant is very nice.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank spunkymo
Houston
“Delicious food - cozy restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Akbar's Own was walking distance form our B&B and was recommended by its owner. We loved it so much we came twice during our 6 night stay. My wife had the Vegetable Korma and I had the Chicken Tikka and Butter Chicken and we had the vegetable and chicken Pakora. The atmosphere was cozy and the service was attentive. When we return to Vancouver, we'll be sure to go to Akbar's Own for another meal.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank tx_design
Vancouver, B.C.
“Why Wait in Line @ Vij's when You can Reserve @ Akbar's!?!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

Always a wonderful meal @ Akbar's continuing even with the new ownership. Mind you, I think that it was a touch better under the old management, but still an excellent experience all around. I don't know why anyone would wait in line for an hour to be seated at Vij's, when a table is always available for an advanced reservation at Akbar's Own?!?

The staff are pleasant, helpful and accommodating: always happy to individually tailor each dish to one's preferential level of spice and tastes. Although Maurya has the superior dining atmosphere, the food, quality and pricing are far superior here, albeit more casual.

Be sure to try the Lamb Vindaloo and the Fish Goa Curry as they are exceptional!

• Visited April 2011
4 Thank Dalecorp
Karlsruhe, Germany
“Solid North Indian food in a quiet place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

We just had a very nice experience at this restaurant. On entering we've been welcomed very warmly and even though we didn't have a reservation where promptly seated. The place was quite full, so we considered ourselves lucky.

The atmosphere is very quiet and the place is almost a bit too darkly lit. Service was very friendly and carried out in a very distinguished manner.

We opted for Mango Lassi to drink and it was by far one of the best we ever had. For entrees we ordered Lamb Sag and Chicken Tikka Tandoori. Both dishes were good to almost very good and really mild (although we asked for medium spiciness). The spinach in the Lamb Sag was pureed and we expected it to be a bit more natural. The chicken in the Tandoori was very well prepared and juicily, but I still would have liked some kind of light sauce with it. Maybe I should have ordered some yogurt sauce with it.

We finished with a Mango Ice Cream to share which was quite a big portion and good as well. All in all the portions were not on the massive side, but still we were not able to eat it all, taking some of the food home with us for the next day.

Not the best Indian restaurant we experienced so far, but a really good one and we probably will go there again.