“Authentic dining experience.”

Ranked #270 of 4,062 Restaurants in Vancouver
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Granville Island & Fairview
Reviewed May 11, 2017

Good quality restaurant. Perfect 88/100 health inspection score on tomati io, authentic food and decor, unique ambiance. They have a very large menu with plenty of vegetarian dishes so I ordered a vegetarian platter - my kabuli palaw was delicious and I especially loved a cooked spinach. My sister ordered lamb shish kebabs - the lamb was from NZ, very tender and flavorful. Will come back on weekend to watch a belly dancer, that should be fun!

1  Thank Anna Z

Reviewed April 19, 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is the first afghani restaurant in Canada. I believe it, as I first went there in 1975, it is as good today as it was then. Best enjoyed in a group. Not a place to rush. Expect to take your time, 1.5 to 2.5 hours. They have HUGE platters to share. Many, many dishes from one of the oldest national cuisines. Similarities to Greek or Turkish food are obvious with Similarities to North Indian. Save room for "Dechga" the rice pudding It has become a family tradition for birthdays.

Reviewed April 16, 2017

A possibly overlooked gem of a restaurant and dining / cultural experience (at least by me, as it has been perhaps 20 years since I have been here!) - really, it should not be missed!

If one is somewhat familiar with Indian or Persian cuisine, then you'll notice some familiarity with the items and names of dishes, though done in a pleasing and slightly alternative (re: Afghan) manner. And add to that kebabs and lots of eggplant on the menu too. The amazing platters are a good value, and a taste of everything, if you can't decide.

If you're into Middle Eastern or Mediterranean cuisine - whether Greek all the way to Indian, geographically and for cuisine style - then you'll love this place. Wonderful flavours and menu choices, though interestingly the dishes are not so spicy. If you're into it, and if it might enhance the cultural experience while you're there, they have bell-dancing on weekend evenings too.

Make sure to make a reservation, especially on weekends and especially in order to dine in the special floor seating area where you relax, recline, and dine on pillows on the carpeted floor - a must-do!

Overall terrific value and cultural experience.

Reviewed April 15, 2017 via mobile

We took our 14 month old with us for supper early one evening and we're pleasantly surprised.
The food was superb. Even the toddler ate it all! We opted for a shared platter since we had never eaten Afghan food before. I'm not generally a fan of lamb, but here it was excellent.
The service was friendly, fast, and courteous. The decor was lovely, and we can't wait to go back (without the baby) and eat in the room where you sit on the floor for a more authentic experience.

Reviewed March 28, 2017 via mobile

Awesome food for non vegetarians....
Oyaaaa I like it........
I tried AFGHAN ROOM to enjoy the real AFGHAN dinning experience...
Awesome.