WINNER WONDERLAND

“West Restaurant has excellent Vancouver local fare” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of West Restaurant + Bar

West Restaurant + Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
West Restaurant + Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #207 of 3,606 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Canadian, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: South Granville
Cross street: 13th St.
Description: Recognized as the 'jewel in Vancouver's culinary crown', West Restaurant's outstanding contemporary regional cuisine and seamless service has earned much critical acclaim. Pristine seasonal ingredients are sourced to deliver superbly conceived dishes offering modern interpretations of classics. For those keen to observe 'behind the scenes' action and experience West from a unique perspective, the two 'chef's tables' can be found directly adjacent to the presentation kitchen. One of the highlights of the dining room is a temperature-controlled wall of wine, and under it, the long cherry wood bar that gracefully anchors the conversation-where martinis and cocktails are composed of fresh herbs, juices and creative infusions. A Werner Forster installation floats under the ceiling-a study of light and motion. The leather chairs are the Mario Bellini designed originals found at MOMA, surrounding etched stone tabletops, highlighting a handsome and inviting room that speaks to contemporary Vancouver.
Baltimore, Maryland USA
“West Restaurant has excellent Vancouver local fare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2010

Tip: Arrive before 6 PM and get the Theatre tasting menu for $45, an incredible value!
A great foodie restaurant, the service is very friendly and professional and the food is some of Canada's finest I've heard--I can't argue with that, our meal was excellent. We did the Theatre tasting menu--I had Albacore Tuna marinated in Ponzu with samphire, seaweed salad and citrous mayonnaise; Snake River Farm Kurobuta Pork Cheeks with carmelized apricot risotto, kale and fruit chutney jus...and the dessert was out of this world! Fresh Blueberry tart with passion fruit chiffon, and sour cream thyme ice cream--all pictured.

1 Thank Chef_Scott

Vancouver
“Aggressive up-selling on liquor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2010

Just dropped by for a drink and was put off by the obvious up-selling on liquor. Bottled water appeared before we realized what was happening and I had to insist on the drink I ordered as the bartender tried hard to get me to take something more expensive. Maybe the food is really good, but the over-the-top pushing at the bar failed to impress.

1 Thank rojo
Edmonton
“This is what culinary magic is all about”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2010

In my opinion, culinary magic is about a few simple ingredients.
1) Great friendly service: Our server was Suzanne and I was made to feel at home right away and that Suzanne was a friend that I just hadn't met yet. She was fun and had some great ideas and suggestions to make the experience fun for me and my guest.I mentioned some of my alergies when it came time for dessert. Our waitress worked in tandem with the pastry chefs to bring me out something special. There is no room for error in their service.
2) Great food with great incredients: I don't often have the opportunity to eat at such great restaurants, so I feel as though I might appreciate this more than the average foodie, but my meal was so great, I had to go back and thank the kitchen team for the job they did. Nothing fake about these dishes or kitchen staff. These guys are "It"!
3) Elements that compliment each other: Everything from the decor, service and food blended together to create a well rounded, well executed experience.

There is nothing to knock about this restaurant!

1 Thank Imbatman
vancouver,bc
“Dineout - book it at West!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2010

I went to WEST for dineout. Not only was the food good, but the service was also superb. I don't normally go to high class restaurants since i'm in my early twenties. THey treated everyone and anyone very well. I also had a free drink coupon and they ended up promo'ing the whole table for free drinks! If i had the money, i'd go here way more often.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Vancouver
“Consistently one of the best in Vancouver”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2010

Having dined at 2 and 1 Michelin starred restaurants I have to say that West is deserving of at the minimum 1 Michelin star as well.

Though it is a small intimate dining room the room is a well oiled machine with everyone doing their best to ensure that everyone receives a great dining experience. The food is consistently fresh and highlights the best local produce available in season (as is the restaurant group's policy I reckon) and although from time to time there has been a few "misses" I believe that is due more to the fact that West has had to deal with two departures of great chefs. It is now up to the new chef to put his touches on the food, and I am sure that within no time West will be completely solid once more in the food department. The alcohol side of the room is fantastic with a great bartender and impressive wine list all headed by a knowledgeable sommelier in Owen.

All in all, one of the best if not the best dining experiences in Vancouver. And the stress is on dining experience, as it should be for a restaurant of this caliber.

1 Thank nismoboy