“Great food, but popular place, so be prepared to wait”
Review of Vij's Restaurant - MOVED

Vij's Restaurant
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Granville
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great food, in a sort of updated nouvelle Indian style. Very fresh and interesting, and probably the best Indian-based food I've had.

It is very popular and, as they don't take reservations, be prepared to wait. But they do make it worth your while - there is a waiting area outside and by the bar, inside, where you can have a drink and where they bring you snacks from time to time. Service is good.

Prices are a bit on the high side, but not outrageous, and probably reasonable value for a popular / successful restaurant. It is what it is. I recommend it.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Vij's is great (as is the related Rangoli next door). The atmosphere and food are everything you can read about in the other reviews. I am not a regular Indian food eater, but am quite certain that it doesn't get any better!

That being said, the wait is brutal. We arrived at 5:50pm on a Friday night thinking we were early given the restaurant opens at 5:30. It was full and were told the wait would be 1 1/2 hours. In the end, the wait was just about 2 hours and I'm afraid it put a damper on the evening. If we had planned anything else to do later, we couldn't have eaten at Vij's. I guess because the restaurant is so popular (and perhaps a bit arrogant), it might be able to squeeze in 1/4 more turns on the tables over the course of an evening this way, but it is a bad experience for the customers. I'd love to go again, but have no intention of waiting like that again.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had a wonderful dinner in the lesser Vij restaurant. The staff agreed with us... that the famous Vij is over the top... so go to the next door restaurant, also Vij... and have a great dinner.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The service was exceptional without being pretentious. The environment was casual, comfortable, upbeat & fun. The food was extraordinary!!! I will return to Vij's the next time that I visit Vancouver.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I were at a newly opened Indian fusion restaurant in Toronto and the owner went around and talked to all the patrons (unusual!), so we asked him what was the best Indian restaurant that he knows of: VIJ's he said! Ever since then we've been dreaming about going for dinner to this iconic establishment in Vancouver! So finally this summer we were in the West Coast and we planned to go to Vij's. We also knew that we couldn't make a phone reservation, so we armed ourselves with patience once we got there! The place was full to the last seat. We thought that that was a good sign. Well...not so much. We ordered the famous wine marinated lamb popsicles and they were just ok. The meat was tender but we would have expected a symphony of flavours and they just weren't there. We had a few other dishes and they were equally unimpressive as the lamb. The best part of the meal was the rose from Road 13 winery which complimented the meal superbly.

I also found that it was extremely dark in the restaurant, so much so that I couldn't see my food! In addition, the tables were miniature, so we constantly had to move things around to fit the plates. The service was superb and the wait staff was extremely attentive and friendly.