“Defies description”
Review of Tojo's Restaurant

Tojo's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Tojo's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #400 of 3,915 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Shaughnessy
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Too bad so many people recommend Tojo's for the sushi - not because the sushi is bad; it's not (it's incredible) - but because it is so much more. It is Japanese cuisine at its best: you won't eat better outside of Japan. Simply listing the plates - sashimi, tempura (zucchini flower stuffed with crab), crab meat with melon and cucumber and daikon, topped with wasabi 'mustard', marinated sable fish, 8 different nigiri sushi - doesn't do the food justice. The table next to us also ordered the 'makase', and got five entirely different plates. The food is incredible. All this plus excellent service - I would have expected to pay more.

1  Thank BladeKandahar

Reviewed August 19, 2013

On my second last trip to Vancouver, my contacts wanted me to visit a restaurant that they thought was "the best sushi place in Vancouver". It paled in comparison to what I believe is, without any close competition, the best sushi restaurant in North America.

I've given up on eating sushi in other places: they're just not even close to Tojo's.

The quality and freshness of the food, the combination of taste, the presentation, the service and... Tojo himself. There's not one negative there. It's a great restaurant.

I think there may a lot trying to imitate him - but you can't imitate what is simply genius in food preparation.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Tojo was highly recommended as the Japanese restaurant in Vancouver and we tried it out during our visit. The service was great and the sushi and sashimi prepared in a traditional way, nothing to complain about but in the past 3-4 years there has been an incredible development among sushi ches, we did not see or experience that at Tojos. We tried the chicken on the menu and it was really good and well prepared.
Tojos is definitely worth a visit

Mr Lars

Reviewed July 19, 2013

The restaurant is great. Service is very good, the lady Maître D' because is very authentic Japanese; she is very attentive and knowledgable. The night we went Mr. Tojo was behind the sushi bar. My daughter went to talk to him and he was very gratuitous. Sushi is amazing. Rolls are small and very tasty. Tempura is good. Overall a great experience.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I think perhaps Tojo's has lost its edge. While he was a pioneer once upon a time, and the food was excellent, it wasn't the avant-garde cuisine I had expected. Three of us got the 6+ course and one got the 5 course. Like I said, all the food was great it just wasn't worth the price paid. As others have stated there is plenty of good Japanese food and sushi to be had in Vancouver, no reason to pay the exorbitant prices here.