“Very nice but stupidly expensive”
Review of Tojo's Restaurant

Tojo's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Tojo's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #373 of 3,897 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Shaughnessy
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Tojo's has an excellent selection of Japanese cuisine. Everything is fresh, well prepared, and delicious. It's hard to find anything to criticise about the food. It is great. However, if you're not on an expense account, it will hurt your pocketbook. Plan $100 per person plus booze for a good meal. The service is only ok. A bit condescending and not particularly attentive.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

... period!!! Tripadvisor is forcing me to elaborate on my review, I guess. Grew up eating sushi frequently in Orange County, CA and have tried it all over both west and east coasts and many in between. Nowhere else comes close to serving quality, beautiful creations such as the sushi I found here.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I've eaten at many Japanese restaurants and Tojos is my favorite. Been eating here for 20 years (back when it was at its old location with the a more basic atmosphere) - and always ate here on each trip to Vancouver (when I used to come every 4 months or so for business). Just very unique and luxurious dishes - just can't find anywhere else. And their sushi rice is amazing - melts in your mouth and it seems like my mouth can feel each rice grain. Eating at the sushi bar is by far better than the tables (though it is pricier as the chef will serve things a bit off the standard chef's menu - and charges accordingly - but no worries he will only go crazy if you are a regular and Tojo knows you want every more decadent - i.e., expensive - tastes). Admittedly, Sushi Kaji in Toronto has a similar style and its own great uniqueness. My wife actually says Sushi Kaji is her favourite (my second favourite) - but why I like Tojos more (if I given a "tie" to taste and uniqueness to both) is a prefer their size of dishes - Tojos will serve 6-7 dishes vs. Sushi Kaji at around 12. You will be full with both - just that Tojos servings are twice as much. I prefer having larger serving sizes and because of less dishes I can finish a meal at Tojos in 1.5 hours vs. Sushi Kaji that needs 2.5 hours to finish. I don't necessarily want to rush out right after eating, but I prefer to eat in 1.5 hours and then maybe linger a bit over dessert, tea, etc... - than to wait and wait after each dish to make it a 2.5 hour experience (not complaining - just saying my preference). Tojos is expensive, but well worth it (when one considers its extreme uniqueness). and I love the service! I recognize the same waitress and waiter for 20 years and they call me by name each time I come in. Yes, maybe I am somewhat of a regular, but not a real regular (nowadays maybe once a year) - I'm sure they remember names of many many customers that are only somewhat regulars. That is a good skill. And Tojo is very impressive and delightful to talk to and watch at the sushi counter.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I met Tojo 25 years ago when his dream was to have his own restaurant.

He has won many awards and is VERY well known.

If you don't mind paying for top quality/creative art at the peak of freshness then don't miss out on

this wonderful experience.

Enjoy the very best there is!

1  Thank FrannywestcoastB_C_
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Many people don't know what to make of Tojo's. It's consistently rated among the top restaurants in Vancouver, in Canada and in North America. Yet it doesn't meet their expectations. It's not as "fancy" as the prices suggest. Reviews laud the sushi, yet that's only a small part of the magic of the place. A lot of people think they know what a Japanese restaurant is like; they have their favorite dishes; they have 'benchmark' restaurants that they compare others to. Tojo is a one-off. His magic lies in creating new dishes out of fresh local ingredients, and of matching them to your tastes and dietary requirements. But you have to put yourself in his hands. There's a menu, but I'd ignore it if I were you. Ask for Omakase. I've been eating here for, yes, decades, and I've never had the same meal twice. His food draws on Japanese traditions but extends far beyond the traditional, like his "vegetable pasta" as one small example. Sit at the omakase bar. Engage with Tojo and his chefs. Every one of the people working in the kitchen is capable of running their own restaurant. Don't come here for a 3-hour candle-lit third date. It's not that place. But it's likely to be one of the great meals you find in Vancouver, or any other city, if you give it the chance. And yes, bring your wallet. (but compare the prices not to other Japanese restaurants, or other sushi restaurants, but to other top restaurants of any stripe).

2  Thank paulbeserene