“Great Dining Experience!!”
Review of The Fish House In Stanley Park - CLOSED

The Fish House In Stanley Park
Cuisines: Seafood, Grill
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Stanley Park
Cross street: Lagoon Dr. and the tennis courts
Transit: Davie & Denman: The 5, the 6, the C21 and the C23 Vancouver Trolley courtesy stop at Stanley Park Dr & Lagoon Dr
Description: Among the spectacular gardens of Stanley Park sits the historic Fish House restaurant. Relax and dine in our Fresh and Casual concept featuring exceptional seafood, freshly shucked oysters or indulge in our Mixed Grill. Sit back with a micro-brewed beer, a glass of wine from our award-winning wine list or enjoy a seasonal, specialized martini. For private events we have three distinct rooms, two of which feature patios opening onto the scenic natural beauty of Stanley Park. Whether it is a boutique wedding, corporate party or business meeting, the Fish House caters to your needs and wishes!As of May 2013, we are proud to announce that we are one of the few seafood restaurants in Vancouver to be 100% Ocean Wise™
“Great Dining Experience!!”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We went to the Fish House on Monday night for Dine Out. Personally, I don't eat fish but the menu had some great choices and it did not disappoint. Our server was Jennifer and she was very knowledge about the menu and the wine. She informed us about their sustainable seafood options.
The Dine Out menu is special for 2 weeks in January so I am not sure if what we had are regular items on the menu but it was all delicious! For our group of four we had the following: crab cakes (3) and avocado spring roll for appetizers, main courses - ling cod, lamb, short rib and arctic char - all amazing, dessert - panna cotta, cheesecake and an elegant s'more.
Yes, the inside is quaint and a bit dated, but romantic in the dark evening. This restaurant is in a great location for tourists in the summer. Walk around Stanley Park and then have a great dinner while watching the sun set over the ocean.

• Visited January 2014
Michael H, Manager at The Fish House In Stanley Park, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thanks for the review, GillyTravelBug! Be sure to stop by for our regular a la carte dinner menu or Chef's 5-course tasting menu. Happy dining!

Richmond, Canada
“Great location! A must if you visit Vancouver”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

The ambiance for this place is second to none. The combination of creative food, wonderful location, and attentive service made our meal one to remember.

• Visited January 2014
Michael H, Manager at The Fish House In Stanley Park, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thanks for the review, Hookem1970!
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful Food, Service and Room”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Have been to the Fish House in Stanley Park several times. Each time I have always enjoyed a great meal, excellent service, surrounded the beautiful space.
For a special occasion it is a great restaurant choice.

• Visited December 2013
Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Michael H, Manager at The Fish House In Stanley Park, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thanks for dining with us, Cathy M and thanks so much for the review!
“WORST DINING EXPERIENCE EVER!!!”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

From the cobwebs in all crevices in this 'restaurant', to the rude server, to the putrid smell of urine and fish (?) in the washrooms, this was a horrible dining experience.
I was so excited to dine here after reading all the positive reviews-and after having done so, I wonder where these folks have actually dined previously.
VIEW: If you love staring at a tennis court or the glaring sun on your face, then you will like this.
SERVICE:
-Long wait to even be acknowledged. Our server was informed of my allergies and commented with, "then you can't eat here!' Seriously? I decided to let this go and asked him to check the safety of a few different options. He came back and advised me of Chef's recommendations-I ordered a few things only to have this guy then insult me further by saying, 'Are you sure that is not too much Madaam"? Woah..
-Our food took one whole hour to hit our table-this hasn't even happened to me at places that cook all meals a la minute..how is this is acceptable???
-If I wasn't with a couple easy-going friends, I would have left.
DRINKS:
-So then, we order drinks which take 20 minutes to arrive-a 'wine by the glass' question and server had no clue about it (product knowledge-WEAK) plus, the worst Old Fashioned all of us have ever tasted.
FOOD:
-BLAH..Mediocre: Avocado spring rolls, tortellini, carpaccio etc..sound awesome.yah, not even close..PEDESTRIAN!!
-TWICE an appy arrived with one of my allergies all over it!!! No apology or accountability-in fact the server blamed the kitchen-GREAT teamwork..throwing each other under the bus.
FINALE: When we had almost finished and were about to ask for bill, our last appy that again the 'kitchen' messed up arrived..ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
No removal of this app from bill-no MANAGER to touch our table-NO quality-NO love..this place is old-school in all the worst ways.
Pass it up-you will be better off at the 'chain' resto up the street.

2 Thank Divadines
Thanks for taking the time to send us your review, Divadines.

I'm really sorry to hear about your dining experience here with us. Please contact Stephen Duyzer, General Manager at 604-681-7275 or sduyzer@silverbirchhotels.com so that you can discuss your dining experience with him.
Vancouver, Canada
“50 in 52 Vancouver Review”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

From my blog "50 in 52 Vancouver," auditing TripAdvisor's Top 50 Vancouver restaurants. Read my entire review at http://50in52vancouver.blogspot.ca/2014/01/24-fish-house-in-stanley-park.html

THE STATS - Out of 10

Taste: 8 - It had it's strong points and a few faults...more salt!
Creativity: 6 - For the most part, the dishes were traditional, with the exception of the Smore
Service: 9 - Exceptional service
Bang for your buck: 8 - The portion sizes were perfect for a 3-course meal, but it is hard to judge this category because it was Dine Out Vancouver, and your dinner price was capped at $38. It's the equivalent of getting a free dessert had you paid the actual price for eat item.
Overall experience: 8 - It was a nice, quiet date night.

Would I go back? Probably not, but just because it's inherently not the type of place that you'd become a regular at.
Who would I recommend it to? Couples, small groups or big groups. There was a table behind us of about 12 people who looked very comfortably seated. The tables have enough space between them that the volume of a large crowd isn't a bother. You have to love seafood to take full advantage of the menu.
For what occasion? Date night, double date night, or a tame special occasion like you mom's birthday. It doesn't have a trendy vibe in terns of decor, so you won't stick around until 3am.
It was better than: Europea during Montreal à la table
It wasn't as good as: L'Abbatoire
Expect: To be seated right away, a decent 3-course meal, solid staff, great cocktails, and perfect local wine pairings.

Top 50 Worthy? I'm not sure. It was good, but I don't think it makes the cut as a Top 50 spot. I think the touristy nature of Stanley Park brings in a lot of traffic and appeal to visitors, and that is why there are so many reviews. It doesn't seem like a place that the locals frequent.

• Visited January 2014
Michael H, Manager at The Fish House In Stanley Park, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thanks for the review, and great blog, 50in52Vancouver! We'd definitely love to see you back for our a la carte dinner menu!