“NEVER again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
“NEVER again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have been a regular customer of this place but I have made it the last time after a very rude incident with one of the waiters to the point we basically got up, and left without ordering any food as we didn't want to cause a scene. I don't want to go into details of what happened but reading the reviews of other people, the consistant thing i see is how rude the people are at this place so just know that my review is legit. This place doesn't know what customer service is, or even what the word means. No wonder they are constantly issuing out Groupons, as they don't have enough customers, and are not making any efforts to keep the ones they already have. It's too bad, as I for one, do like the food here but will never step into that place again.

• Visited July 2013
7 Thank Dee H

Denver, Colorado
“There must be better Chinese restaurants in Vancouver”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The food wasn't bad, but it just wasn't that good either. In a city that has so many Asians, how can a supposedly Szechuan Chinese restaurant serve up such bland and uninspired food?

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank SoMuchToSeeAndDo
Vancouver, Canada
“Go for the Chinese Fried Chicken and Shrimp flavored chips.”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We went to the restaurant for a family dinner. The restaurant is one of the few large sized Chinese restaurants in the Kitsilano (Broadway) area. Go for the Chinese Fried Chicken and Shrimp flavored chips. Tasty. The service was efficient.

You can make reservations but the restaurant is very large and therefore you can always get a table even if you don't make reservations.

If you drive to the restaurant, a word of advice..customer parking is in the back of the restaurant via the back alley. Don't park in the front and pay for metered street parking.

• Visited September 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“Average Dim Sum and service left a lot to be desired”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Visited the Chonqing on W Broadway for the all you can eat Dim Sum and had the groupon coupon to boot. We were in a group of 18 and were seated on 3 different tables. Some of us in the group were running late so the first thing I was told is "We are busy and you cannot hold the table for more than an hour". Fair enough we respect that. One of our group tables was having its full occupancy so they insisted that we should start to order immediately. Again we complied as we were in a for agood time and wanted to celebrate Mothers day so what the heck. So while one table was eating my wife and I were at the other table watching. Hehehehe. Anyway when all were there the food was served fairly quickly considering the restaurant was full. The Dim Sum itself was good and most of the dishes we ordered were tasty. However when we ordered chili oil we had to ask for it atleast on 7 different occasions before we were served the chili oil. Water seemed to be a sacred commodity and was served only after we requested it 3 different times. Come on guys that is the least you can provide the first time around even without asking for it. Anyway exactly an hour later we were done and when we asked for the bill we had one presented to us so quickly and it left us wondering if the service could have been equally efficient. All in all I would say this is a nice place with good Dim Sum but PLEASE go when it is not busy especially avoid going on a Sunday.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Jpart
Vancouver
“Go for the Dim Sum, the main dishes although ample are not the tastiest”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have been going to this restaurant at a few of the Vancouver locations, but generally head to the Broadway location which is found on the 2nd floor between Fir and Pine Streets (tucked bet. Burrard and Granville St.)
If I had written this year 6 years ago, it would have received a higher rating... I go for the Dim Sum, and they used to do cart service: where they wheel a steaming cart around, or bring by plates for you to make selections.
Now, in 2013, they have stopped doing this and the menu is rather streamlined. For those who have no idea what to order for dim sum, you lose the visual appeal of seeing the dishes and making more of an informed choice. Secondly, and I heard this upon my last visit this week: the dishes have skyrocketed in price. It wasn't too long ago that each and every one of their dim sum dishes was $2.75 a piece, then in a 3 year period, many have been raised to more than double the price. (The tiny menu where you tick off your selections lists items and their prices: a large item is $5.95 + tax, and the dish is not a large portion which is very misleading).
In a nutshell, what used to cost me under $20.00 to feed 2 people now costs bet. $35.00 and $40.00 with a tip included. Here are some examples: Fried green beans are $5.25 for a portion the size of a man's hand (these are however, some of the best, spiciest szechuan beans in the city), the deep fried prawn triangles are $5.25 for 3 pcs, Shui Mai (pork dumplings w/ prawns) are $4.95 for 4. So yes, with many other dim sum places to dine at, I feel the value has slipped.
I have listed it at a higher cost per person, because comparatively, it has jumped almost double in 3 years... that is a major price hike (and what used to be a booming business with door waits, has died down considerably... many empty tables and no more door waits.)
They renovated their locations in 2012 with new paint job, new flooring, new window blinds, and have opted for paper overlays on the table, when they used to have plastic tablecloths that they would pull off the tables full of dirty dishes and just bring them back to the kitchen. Times have changed, but with that, the place has lost much of it's charm.
The price and selection for dim sum was what made this place so fun, but now I go seldomly go back... not sure if it changed ownership, but it kinda feels like it's gouging. Been twice for regular dinner dishes and was not impressed by the flavours. For Szechuan, my favorite which has never disappointed, is Won More down on Denman street near English Bay.

• Visited March 2013