“Fresh Wasabi”

Neighborhood: Shaughnessy
Richmond Hill, Canada
“Fresh Wasabi”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Fresh fish, authentic Japanese chef and wait staff. The place is very small. Great service, excellent food, reasonable prices.

Visited August 2012

Toronto, Canada
“Excellent Sushi!”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We have been here numerous times for Sushi lunch and the quality is always consistent. Like others have said, the restaurant looks rather unassuming and the parking lot is short of available parking. However, this place might just offer the best sushi in Vancouver and is run by authentic Japanese people.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank mudd_stuffin
Vancouver, Canada
“Very good choice for Sushi on Cambie Street near City Hall”
Reviewed May 5, 2012

This restaurant is rather small an unassuming, but the food is consitent, the wait staff friendly and it is moderately priced. Very authentic Japanese sushi unlike so many chinese or korean type fake Japanese Sushi you find in Vancouver.

Shiro doesn't have any pretensions of being a fancy restaurant but the food is good. They offer both wild and farm salmon. I like the sashmi and the cones.My Grandson loves the edamame and the cucumber avocado roll.
There is a moderate selection of Saki and all moderately priced.

If you like Sushi and aren't expecting a culinary art show and want a reasonable tab check out Shiro. It is my first choice.

• Visited April 2012
Seattle, WA, USA
“Excellent and unpretentious”
Reviewed January 31, 2012

My wife and I ate at Shiro on a Thursday evening in late January, but it was still pretty full ... and we could see why. The food is very tasty and reasonably priced, and the atmosphere is unassuming and friendly. We had a drink each, and focused on eating sashimi (including sea urchin - the best!), primarily the most expensive items on the menu, and the total bill with tip was $80. We tried a number of different items, and were happy with all of it. We get up to Vancouver a few times a year, and Shiro will definitely be on our "restaurant rotation"!

A few things to note:
* The front page of the menu has a note from the owner stating that he will regretfully have to raise prices soon to keep up with costs. No word on when...
* The restaurant doesn't have a website ... and according to the manager we talked to, they don't want one, since they're "busy enough".
* The tuna special sashimi is absolutely delicious - marinated tuna that we could have eaten all night. Yum!
* There are lines at the door on Friday & Saturday nights, we hear.

• Visited January 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“Serious sushi at a resonable price”
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I have been going to Shiro's for at least ten years. It is a few miles away, and inertia sometimes sends me to nearby Temaki Sushi, which for me is the best of the average pack of Sushi places.

Shiro's is a big step up from such places. I once spent a long time in Japan, and it is the only place in Vancouver I have found where the when I walk in the feeling and smells say "Japan" in a big way. Part of this is of course down to Shiro and his staff actually being Japanese--a rarity amongst everyday sushi places in Vancouver.

Why a step up?

1. Careful and artful preparation. The standard here in everyday sushi places is now really, really low. Not here.

2. Appropriate materials. Wild salmon and real crab if desired. Never the feeling that I just ate X when it was supposed to be Y.

3. Quick service.