“Not Your Ordinary Dim Sum Place!”

Shanghai Chinese Bistro
Ranked #2,254 of 3,776 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Vancouver
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not Your Ordinary Dim Sum Place!”
Reviewed March 26, 2011

Shanghai Chinese Bistro (SCB) is definitely my favorite dim sum place in town. However, if you are looking for a cheap dim sum place just to grab a bite, them this is not your joint, there are way more places that would serve much cheaper dim sum than SCB.

My husband introduced me to this restaurant 5 years ago when we first met and I have been hooked ever since. He's been a 10 year customer with them.

Their food is top-notch, great quality and very authentic. Don't write them off just because they are in downtown Vancouver, but they sure beat many dim sum places in Richmond and other areas. A lot of the other places focuses on giving huge portions but neglect the overall quality, but SCB's portions are very reasonable and the quality is definitely there. Then, their service is phenomenal. They are cordial, speaks fluent English, Cantonese, and Mandarin, and are always filling our water glass or tea cups. Super attentive. Unlike some other Chinese restaurants, it really is nice not to be afraid that you may be yelled at if you ask for something, or feel that you may be troubling the waiter as with some of the other places, the waiters always look as if they are super busy. What makes them more special is that they really do remember their customers. For example, one time my husband and I told them that we are going on a vacation, the next time we went to the restaurant again, which was at least a month later, the waiter asked us how our vacation went.

The restaurant decor is clean and tidy. Nothing fancy but no complaints for sure.

When my husband and I want some comfort food, or after a few weeks of traveling, we very often visit SCB for some good old dim sum to welcomes ourselves back home.

Love this place, love their food, and love their people!

• Visited March 2011

Prince George, Canada
“Service was definitely 5*”
Reviewed November 24, 2010

Was only 3 blocks from our hotel (Coast Coal Harbour), located on the second floor with windows out onto Alberni Street. Went with a friend and I had the Peking Duck. First time having Peking Duck, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I thought it was excellent.

Service was top notch. Everyone spoke English very well (something I hear is rare among Chinese restaurants in Vancouver). The waiter offered to serve our duck personally, not sure if thats customary or not, but he carefully showed me how to do it myself when I said I would like to. Never once did we run out of water in our glasses or have to touch the teapot.

I would definitely go back next time I'm in the area!

Vancouver, BC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing taste.”
Reviewed November 13, 2010

Went to Shang-hi Chinese Bistro for Dim Sum today with my family. Amount of dim sum dishes are so limited. Man, that was mistake. There is no Chinese and no good dishes. My wife and my daughter got diarrhea. A lot of MSG witl make us discusted.

As sometime people say when there is no Chinese, don't go to that Chinese restaurant and that is exactly what happened today.... No more dim sum in downtown. Outside from downtown.

New York City, New York
“Better Than Other Dim Sum Places”
Reviewed November 12, 2010

I came here for lunch. I was pleasantly surprised. I found the quality of food to be better than at the Imperial Chinese Seafood Restaurant. I thought that the food was fresh and had good flavor overall. I enjoyed the dim sum menu and savored the comforting and tasty Hong Kong style congee.
The service was attentive and friendly. The restaurant appeared clean.
I would recommend this place, at least for lunch. It was not too far of a walk from the Vancouver Convention Center (maybe 15 min walk).
At the restautant, you can also gaze upon the crustaceans that you may be having for your meal at the fish tanks at the front of the restaurant (there was one very large crab).

Los Angeles
“They tried to scam us”
Reviewed October 6, 2010

We went here looking for an inexpensive, fun meal for 5 people. They ended up pushing us to get the "specials of the day" without telling us that one dish was $250!

Everything on the menu was priced $13-$18 and we decided to order and eat family style.
We asked our waiter what he would recommend, and he strongly suggested we get the king crab special and the fish special -- "you must get these -- these are the specialities of the house." We took his suggestion, and also ordered some other dishes.

Imagine our shock when we where handed a bill for $500! When we asked to see the itemized bill, we discovered that the king crab special was $250 and the fish special was $50.

We asked to see the manager and expressed our dismay that the restaurant would suggest we order a dish and not tell us that it cost $250. He kept explaining that this was what crab cost. We went back and forth, saying that we eat in a lot of restaurants, and even in a super expensive place, if they have something really pricy as a special (white truffles, kobe beef) they tell you the price. It never entered our minds that a special at this mid-ranged Chinese place would cost $250 when every other dish is $15. We told him that we were in town on business and our company would never cover this bill.

The manager said the waiter should have told us the price. He finally cut the bill down to $400. We had expected to pay $175-$200 for our evening. We could have gone to super fancy restaurant if we wanted to spend $500.

1 Thank crashbpm