“Not as good as it has been”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Raincity Grill - CLOSED

Raincity Grill
Cuisines: American, Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West End
Cross street: Davie Street
Perth, Australia
“Not as good as it has been”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

The appetizers were very good however the duck entree was the worst I've ever had- grey flesh that was tough and very fatty-just a horrible dish. When the plates were collected not one comment from the waitress-despite the dish being almost as full as when it arrived at the table.
The dessert was ridiculous- it was trying too hard to be clever and did nothing for the guest- a deconstructed cheesecake lacked any punch in the sauces to make up for having to chase the crumbs around the plate.
The service was very disinterested and slow. The drinks that were ordered never arrived, extra coffees did not arrive-only the bill earlier than we wanted as we were going to stay on for coffee and liqueurs.
We were looking forward to this visit after our last time but will try elsewhere next time we are in town.

Cincinnati, Ohio
“What a delight!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

The food was tops. Many choices, wonderful experience. we walked a ways to get there and were not disappointed. The reviews stated it was excellent and we agree..

Visited September 2013
Richmond, Canada
“Go For The Tasting Menus”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

This used to be one of my favorite restaurants but it seems to have slipped as of late. The food is still very good and the tasting menus with paired wines are the highlight but the food quality is less consistent and for the premium price there are better more consistent options in town. Went tonight with the family. The new 48hr short ribs are really nice, the duck was weak - really disappointing. The desert over priced for what it was but tasty.

• Visited January 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“Didn't like the deconstructed dessert”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

My family and I tried this restaurant for the first time last week. Regrettably, I don't think I'll bother to go back. When we arrived there, my sister-in-law was taken aback by the lack of ambiance. She had made the reservation and I think she expected something that looked a lot more upscale. It is pretty casual despite what shows in the photos on the website.

We were seated and had an enthusiastic server who was new to the restaurant. Nice service throughout the meal. On the other hand, the food was hit and miss. I had the butternut squash soup which was very nice, although the smear of carrot puree on the edge of the bowl seemed odd. It tasted good, but looked like either a mistake or a hasty afterthought. My main course was okay, but nothing great.

I asked the server for a recommendation on dessert. She told me that the cheesecake was very deconstructed and that the chocolate something was less deconstructed. So I ordered that. When it came, I thought she had a plate she had removed from someone else's table, but no that was my dessert. I told her that it didn't look very nice. She urged me to try it so I did. It tasted okay, but honestly it looked like crumbs from the bottom of a bag of cookies with a tablespoon of ice cream at one edge. It was on a huge plate and took up about 5% of the plate. I guess I am not sophisticated enough to appreciate the deconstructed dessert, but the server said that she agreed with me and that I was not the first guest to mention it to her. I like food to look appealing and please the eye as well as the palate. I didn't get that eye appeal with any item I ordered. I guess my palate and I will go elsewhere to find some "constructed" food items. You missed on this one Raincity Grill!

1 Thank RWilliams05
Bremerton, WA
“Good, but early bird not what we were expecting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

We went here because, on a previous trip, we'd had good food, and had read about a slightly lower priced tasting menu available before six pm.
We arrived on time for our 5:45 reservation, were seated promptly, told "I'll be right with you." And then ignored for the next ten minutes. We had menus, but not even any water.
The early bird taint menu was odd, in that two of the entree were not on the regular menu, and seemed more like pub grub than "tasting" (which I associate with the chef's best efforts) - we could have hamburger, fish and chips, or linguine with mushrooms. We chose the linguine. First course, I had rotated butternut squash soup, and it was fabulous (and more in line with my expectations). Husband had a beet root salad with goat cheese that was also very good.
We went with the suggested wine pairings for each course, and they were mostly very good.
After the initial lapse, service was excellent.