Bistro 101 at Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Granville Island & Fairview
Cross street: Anderson
Transit: From downtown Vancouver, the #50 (False Creek) bus will take you right to our building at the corner of West 2nd and Anderson.
Description: Bistro 101 at Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts offers gourmet cuisine, in an elegant setting, prepared by the next generation of talented cooks. Our marina-view restaurant serves lunch and dinner, Monday to Friday. Choose from a variety of appetizers, entrees, and desserts prepared by our talented Culinary Arts and Baking & Pastry Arts students under the watchful eye of our European-trained chef instructors. Monday through Thursday - Join us for 'Market Menus' and enjoy a three-course fixed priced menu with choice of appetizer, entree and dessert. Fridays - Feast on our 'West Coast Buffet'. ***PLEASE NOTE: Please note that effective April 2, 2013, Bistro 101 prices will be as follows: 3 Course Lunch (Monday - Thursday): $203 Course Dinner (Monday - Thursday): $26Lunch (Friday - West Coast Buffet): $22Dinner (Friday - West Coast Buffet): $33Please note that the 12% HST will be replaced with the 5% GST at this time as well.
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The food at Bistro 101 is well prepared, of excellent quality and well presented. The decor is top notch and location is great as it is situated next to the seawall. Dining here is a fine opportunity to take a stroll along the seawall before or after your lunch or dinner, and is at the entrance to Granville Island market which could keep you busy for a couple of hours. Also, you could take in a play or other entertainment at one of the venues and make this a whole day and evening experience. The only thing that makes the restaurant less than excellent is that the wait staff are students and lack the professionalism that you would expect at a fine dining establishment. For example, they may be nervous, place the knives and forks in the wrong places, and other similar things. As long as you understand this, you will know what to expect and will most likely enjoy the experience. My husband and I found it an enjoyable experience overall and would definitely go back. We had absolutely no complaints about the food.

1  Thank Capricorn49
picachef, Manager at Bistro 101 at Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Hello - Thanks for taking the time to submit your review of our Bistro! We're happy that you enjoyed your food and experience. We share feedback with our students so they can learn what is important to guests in their future roles as professional cooks and to improve on our training. We hope you'll join us again!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

It is pure luck that I timed my first visit to Vancouver that coincided with Dine Out and what better place to start than at Bistro 101! This unique restaurant is staffed by students on the Culinary Arts and on the Pastry Arts courses of the Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts, guided by their instructors.

Their three course 'Dine Out' lunch menu at $18 was great value. I started with Butternut Soup, which warmed me up on a chilly day. The special Entree was a Lamb Shank served on creamy Cous Cous with Broccolini. Everything was perfectly cooked - Cous Cous served this way was new to me and definitely gets a 'thumb's up'! The melt-in-the-mouth Lamb fell of the bone and although it could have been slightly warmer, it was delicious. The only mild disappointment was the Dessert - the pears were lovely - tasty and well prepared, but the pastry it was served on was a difficult to cut.

The small wine list has a great selection and I enjoyed a glass of the Chapel Hill Shiraz from Australia. I ended the meal with a piping hot cup coffee.

Considering these are students, they are to be commended for doing a great job!

5  Thank CaymanBacchus
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Yes it's fine dining but everything from service to kitchen is made by students. Food was very good and the presentation was nice. Service was friendly and attentive but had lack of knowledge about the menu. But hey - they are students and there is a "teacher" who's helping them. Overall unbeatable value for money!

3  Thank gebizzle
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Heard about PICA from a tourist on a city bus. I went to the office and Jen at reception happily booked us for dinner. She was informative, patient and helpful. Thanks Jen!
We went on Wednesday, wine by the bottle is half price. With the help of the waiter we decided on Hester Creek merlot, great wine.
The gig is 3 courses, with 3 or 4 choices per course. A bread basket with 3 different breads and 2 herbed butters is brought to table, order taken and a complimentary amous bouche (?) of tuna tartar with flying fish roe was served.
I ordered a bread salad for appy, not to my liking, server noticed, came and asked if I would like to try something else, tried the eggplant, was good. Hubby had prawn and avocado mousse, excellent. Other appy tomato soup
Entree, I had the rack of lamb, med rare, perfection, loved it. Hubby had halibut in a broth, also delish! The other entree offers were, ribs and quail.
Dessert, myself, chocolate hazelnut torte with berry sorbet, loved it, Hubby had pumpkin cheesecake mousse, also good. Do not remember what other desserts were. Coffee (decaf) available, just ask.
We were very pleased with everything, service was great, Johnny was nervous, but to be expected. They are in training. We well go again, as soon as we can! We don't live in Vancouver, we live north of Prince George, we well go here every time we get to Van. It is an excellent meal for a very reasonable cost. I recommend everyone to give it a try.

4  Thank midlifegames
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We were given this tip from a local. A restaurant in a cooking school. Great location near a marina on Granville Island. Food was lovely. And great value. Service good - though of course you need to be a little understanding as the students are still learning the ropes. Bookings essential.

4  Thank Margaret T