“Disappointed”

Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The reviews were great, and we were eager to try.
Menu is very impressive plus several hors carte specials that seem very appetizing. Pleasant restaurant environment though a bit noisy due to several large group tables. Very busy evening with reservations essential. Full house.
Appetizers were fine, but not above average. Mains were disappointing. I ordered a carré d'agneau (rack of lamb, French style) but got a shank instead. Smothered in strong sauce, so not much natural flavour left. Had only one taste, and boxed the rest. My wife had veal medallions that were a bit chewy, and also smothered in sauce. Nice sides and creative "gifts" from the Chef.
Wine card is excellent with wonderful French wines geared to the high end.
No coffee press. Surprising!
Service excellent with well trained staff.
Probably not a repeat.

1  Thank Connnaisseur

Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

We ate here two years ago and I was so blown away by the food, service, and setting that , when I found out we were spending the night in Vancouver, I knew I wanted to try it again. It was everything I remembered and more. We started with the lobster and chanterelll Napolean. It was exquisite. The lobster bisque was perfect. My husband had the Chilean sea bass and I had the filet in Aurora sauce . Then the finale was heaven: Tarte tatin with ice cream and topped with a macaron. The server was fantastic. I honestly can say this is the best restaurant I have ever eaten at and I will go again the next time we are in town.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We went to Le Crocodile 3 times in a span of 1 week
The service had always been attentive
Food is classic french at its best - double cut veal chops/ braised veal cheeks and pan seared veal sweetbreads were our favorites
Once we brought the lil one and she was content with shoestring potatoes and chocolate crocodiles

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Had our anniversary dinner at Le Crocodile and was very pleased. From the time we walked in, greeted, seated and feed, we were very pleased. First of all the maitre de was very nice, informative and willing to do whatever it took for a wonderful evening.

When we first arrived, I was advised he could seat us immediately, but if we were willing to wait a short 15 to 20 minutes he could have a really nice table for us. So we decided to get a couple drinks at the bar and wait. After a short 10 minute wait, we were escorted to our seats, and it was a nice table.

After being greeted by our waiter, we listened to all the specials and took a few moments to look over the menu. After a few moments we placed our orders and waited for the parade of flavors. From the chef's complimentary beginning surprise, to our appetizer, and main course we were pleasantly surprised.

One thing we did notice was the noise level within the restaurant. There were times we could hardly hear each other due to the the noise. One couple had a small baby who was crying, and crying, and crying during the meal. Finally they left but by that time it was too late. Also, we expected the clientele to be dressed a little nicer since this was considered a fine dining restaurant.

But with all that being said, if you are looking to enjoy a wonderful French dinner, be sure to give Le Crocodile a visit.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Went here for lunch with my sisters on a weekday for the first time. We didn't have a reservation but showed up when they opened at 11:30 and got a table right away. Very upscale fine dining establishment that has great service and really good food, nice portions too for the price (considering its a fancier place). They gave complimentary amuse bouche and pear sorbet at the end..and also chocolate crocodiles which was really appreciated. We left there pretty full and I didn't t even finish my meal so that just says a lot about good portions ..not like in some fancy places where it's tiny portions for price you pay. But not here...we had crab cakes, lostober tempura on salad to start, then had chicken with risottO, Nicosia salad with huge ahi tuna steak, and paprdelle with veal cheeks for mains. All were very good...too bad I missed seeing a lunch special written on the very bottom of menu. It was mushroom soup and Arctic char for ~$23 which is great price.
Highly recommend for nice ambience and good French fare! I can't wait to go back again!

2  Thank 2bucketlist2