“A fun dinner but majorly overpriced”

Kobe Japanese Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Kobe Japanese Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #411 of 3,845 Restaurants in Vancouver
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed February 9, 2014

This place is best for group dinners. It's a lot of fun to watch them cook in front of you, but the service is quite slow and we had to ask for drinks several times. Overall our meal was good but considering the cheapest meals start at $40, the quality should match the price. I had the $45 Hibachi steak which was good but not excellent. The high prices you pay are for the novelty. The lychee sake was great but the strawberry shortcake drink was all melted and horrible. Although we had fun there was a snobby vibe to the place, probably attributed to the downtown location.

There are newer reviews for Kobe Japanese Steak House

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Went to Kobe's last night during DineOut Vancouver, probably saw VanessaLe there! We had a reservation for 8:30 which we arrived 15 minutes early for, and after waiting for an hour after our reservation time we gave up and left. They absolutely could care less about their customers. Management offered weak apologies. Hostesses repeatedly stated that this is "just how it is on the weekends". Funny that I've never had any issue with any place I've dined downtown with a reservation (including a few different restaurants during dine out). Spend your money elsewhere, Osaka's on Broadway is a good bet. I won't return, I prefer to spend my money in a place that values customer service.

1  Thank Liz L
Reviewed February 1, 2014

My dineout 2014 experience at Kobe was horrid. I had a reservation for two at 830pm, wasn't seated until 930pm. The hostess used dine out as an excuse and it being like this everywhere, I have to disagree because my experience everywhere else has been nothing more than great. Even worse, there are well over 30+ people besides myself waiting when they have booked well in advance. We went from standing at the stairs for 30 mins to being seated in the lounge for another 30. The staff nor manager failed to notify any of their customers nor apologized for the inconvenience. I would have at least expected a comp beverage for the inconvenience. Overall, the staff needs to learn how to manage time and develop customer skills better.

1  Thank VanessaLe
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Kobe is successful because of the novelty of having your food cooked in front of you. It's a busy restaurant which makes for a nice experience. However, despite all the flambouyant peppermill juggling and flame shooting by the chefs, the food you end up with is...well...dead average. You'll find nothing under $40 and you'll find prices up to $250. Disappointing.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

It was our cooks first night and he did an amazing job both cooking and put on a great show. The food was great. Much better than ShoGun. I have been to Shogun in Prince George and the one in Ottawa. Kobe is 10 times better. Will go back for sure.