“very good authentic Chinese food”

Kirin Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #719 of 3,750 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Shaughnessy
West Vancouver, Canada
“very good authentic Chinese food”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

First impression is the tightly packed predominant Chinese family but also a fair number of Caucasian crowd. The food turned out very good for being outside of Hong Kong. The noise level is quite high when the restaurant is not even full.

Visited January 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
“Mediocre”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

When Kirin first opened its doors at the location at Alberni Street back in the eighties we, my friends and I ate there often. The food and service were, I thought, the best in Vancouver. I celebrated my mother's 80th birthday and god daughter's wedding at Kirin (Alberni). And their toilets were always very, very clean.
After I moved back to Vancouver, from time to time we would eat at Kirin at the Cambie location. After all by then there was a proliferation of good Chinese restaurants in Vancouver.
Last week, for the sake of convenience, I invited some friends for dim sum to the Kirin at the Cambie location. The dim sum dishes we had were mediocre, Perhaps we did not order the right items. Perhaps if I were fluent in Chinese, I would have known what to ask for.and the lunch could have been different. We also ordered the crab with ginger and spring onions dish. It was not how I like it cooked. The pieces were rolled in some flour mixture, deep fried and glazed with a cornstarch/soya sauce I prefer the crab pieces stir fried with ginger pieces and spring onions - almost au natural.
The service was good, even though the dining room was busy. We were seated in a side room which had quite a few tables which made the room a little cramped. Incidentally, the Kirin group of companies boast very experienced chefs. But who is doing the actual cooking?
My friend picked up the tab, so I have no comments on the value of the lunch.

• Visited December 2013
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
“Classy Chinese restaurant - Never disapointed”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

The Kirin group of restaurant is producing a genuine and quality Chinese cuisine, with and excellent service, although it is often full, with a waiting line in the entry hall. Whether a table for two, a large family or a group, the attention is similarly good. Quality of the dishes and their price are in the top range of Vancouver and Richmond. Of course the Kirin's are very popular amongst the Asian community and you see only few North-Americans, although more and more are joining in the successful place.

If you like Chinese Dim-Sum's, imperial or traditional cuisine, you will appreciate this nice restaurant.

• Visited October 2013
Calgary
“Enjoyed dim sum in quiet corner table”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This place was packed when we got there, well on time for our 11 AM reservation. But the receptionist insisted that our reservation was 11:30 am instead. I know it was supposed to be 11 am because I was standing next to my friend when he made the reservation.

Anyway, the half hour wait was worthwhile. The dim sum was excellent. And we got an excellent table in a corner so that we had less noise than if we were seated in the middle of the restaurant which was overwhelmingly noisy.

• Visited October 2013
Caloocan City
“Food was Very Good, but Servers Rather Rude”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We are very used to eating Chinese food back home. The food served here was typical, quite tasty and well-cooked. All the typical Chinese restaurant dishes. Peking Duck served two ways was the best: The sauce served with the crab was very good too. The server assigned to us did not seem to speak English too well, and was rather curt and brusque in his behavior.

Visited September 2013