“Upscale Chinese Restaurant in Vancouver, BC”

Kirin Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #722 of 3,868 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Shaughnessy
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We had a great leisurely dinner at Kirin during a brief visit to Vancouver a few days ago. Kirin is a relatively upscale Chinese seafood restaurant near City Hall. It is located in a renovated old school building of sort with shops and a Safeway. The prices are not inexpensive. Our party of five spent over $200 Canadian for several great dishes. If you love fish, ordering a live rock cod would be a great choice item. The preferred way is to have the fish steamed and served over ginger, scallion and hot oil and soy bean sauce. We also had two roasted squaws and live dungeon ness crab served over ginger and garlic sauce on wonton noodle. The dishes were all fresh and very tasty and authentically Cantonese style cooking. We recommend this restaurant for authentic Cantonese food in an upscale setting.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

The restaurant was recommended to us for Chinese food. It did not disappoint. Reservations were necessary. Menu selections are exhaustive. Do not hesitate to obtain food server recommendations. It is a short cab ride from downtown. Portions were large; it is easy to order far more food than guests will consume at dinner. If you are not planning to box up remaining food, cut the portions in half. Prices are very reasonable.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

10 of us had the special seafood banquet menu. The seafood, lobsters, sharkskin soup were really good quality. The XO sauce for dipping was so delicious. The waiters were very polite and service was good. All in all it was a good dining experience that all of us went away very full and satisfied.

2  Thank JuneSydneyAustralia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

All I wanted for my first meal in Vancouver was fabulous dim sum. We walked all the way from downtown for brunch and at first I was discouraged when I saw it was at the top of a mall. We came early enough so didn't have issues with reservations although I did see a long wait when we were leaving. I'm not used to dim sum being listed on a menu instead of on rolled carts so a lot of what I read didn't jive with what I see in NYC. But, we had a good laugh when the food came out looking the same as what I know and love, but tasting -dare I say it- better? Everything was hot and so delicious. I wish I could have some more now...

Service declined dramatically as the place got busier so I gave up on ordering more and just begged someone to come and give us our check. The food though, is still a happy memory.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I visited this restaurant with friends for dinner. They invited us and we were about 8 or 9 people. The tables are round, making food sharing easy and delicious. There is easy parking underground. The restaurant is large but very popular so I would recommend making a reservation.