“Greek Gem - Cozy & Snug - Great Food”
Review of Kalamata Greek Taverna - CLOSED

Kalamata Greek Taverna
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Shaughnessy
Delta, Canada
“Greek Gem - Cozy & Snug - Great Food”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We love Greek food and while there are many great places in Vancouver, we wanted to try some where new. It is cozy, snug (say hello to your fellow diner), bright and a mix of old world meets new world. The picture of the owner above the bar in his sailboat in Greece tells you that it is a place filled with heart and soul. It was not crowded Sunday evening and it seemed like our fellow patrons were a mix of regulars, newbies and neighbours who loved to gather and gossip at this lovely spot. We shared humous and saganaki that was flavourful and fresh. The saganaki was not overly salty or oily - perfect! My kalamari was crisp and tasty. I really enjoyed the rice and potatoes which were prepared a little differently than often found in Greek places - westcoast flair I would say. My husband's kleftico was flavourful but a bit dry - only complaint we had. The servers were prompt and attentive and we had a lovely, lazy Sunday evening, Greek style in the heart of the city.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank BrenSask

Richmond, Canada
1,194 restaurant reviews
“unacceptable”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I saw an advertisement in a local Vancouver paper announcing Kalamata Greek Taverna's 25th anniversary and is offering a 4 course dinner special for $18.00 per person with the purchase of a beverage. I called today Friday, 09 May 2014 to obtain more information. I was advised of the special and that they open for dinner at 5 PM, I said thank you, see you later. We arrived at about 7 PM and was amazed to find the small restaurant busy with the exception of 2 tables, 1 which had a reserved sign on it. We were seated at the other table which seats 4 and given menus. A few moments later our server attended our table and stated "if we didn't mind going to another table as the table we were seated at was "reserved", this other table was tiny and almost in the doorway leading to the rear of the restaurant (a table they squeezed in). Our table DID NOT have a "reserved" sign on it similar to the first table. We suspect that the owners decided that we were 2 persons on a table for 4 and they wanted to maximize their seating. We refused the tiny table and left. There was no mention to make reservations as they might be busy.

• Visited May 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“Great Greek Food!”
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

The Kalamata is a tiny restaurant so I would highly recommend making a reservation. We had dinner there on Saturday and I watched several people being turned away. At the moment they are celebrating their anniversary with a special $18.00 menu. We however ordered off the regular menu, I had roast lamb that was fabulous and my husband had moussaka which he said was also fabulous. This was our second visit and the only reason I have not given 5 stars was the service was not up to par. It was however very busy but experienced serving staff know how to handle a busy evening. Go for the food you won't be disappointed!

Visited January 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“Good Greek”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This corner of Granville at Broadway is now home to two good places! We four went last night and enjoyed a fresh and tasty special four course meal that is on at present. The server was very nice and took care of our orders promptly. The kalamari was good as was the hummus for starters, followed by Greek salad (and a nice green salad for me instead), pork souvlaki, chicken souvlaki, prawn souvlaki and spanakopita for mains. Everyone was very happy with their choice and I found the chicken cooked perfectly which is unusual as in most places you either get it almost raw or completely overcooked! The dessert was particularly delicious..bougasta filled with a lemon custard and served piping hot. Wine (several Greek ones) and beer was very reasonable indeed. We all recommend this little place and would have no hesitation in coming back.

• Visited April 2013
Whistler, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“$18 Four course Menu!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We had an authentic Greek four course meal with beer, wine, and Irish coffees including tax and a generous tip all four $40/head. The portions were generous and the the food was tasty. A great find!

• Visited April 2013