“Amazing Food and Beautiful Venue!”
Review of Il Giardino di Umberto - CLOSED

Il Giardino di Umberto
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Although il Giardino's is closing down in a week or so, you will still be able to visit a few of Umberto's other restaurants(2 are up at Whistler, BC).

The decor of this heritage home is beautiful and will remain after the doors to the restaurant are closed. We were lucky to get a reservation, as many are wanting to visit before they close they're doors on April 13th, 2013.

The service and much about the feel of il Giardino takes me to Italy, especially our server!
The old house is divided into many very elegant rooms. I loved the decor!

The food and portions were larger than expected. Our anti-pasti we ordered was Calamari lightly grilled with olive oil and lime served with a tomato salsa. It was the largest piece of calimari I've ever had and it was cooked and prepared to perfection! I was amazed with the taste of the food!
We told the server we were sharing and our plates came split and they were huge!

Our entree was also shared and it was handmade tortellini pasta stuffed with roasted squash in a portabello mushroom and white wine tomato sauce. I really appreciated every bite of this delicious entree.

We decided to have the Tiramisu della Casa for dessert, which we also shared; it was one of the best ever! ...and we've eaten alot of Tiramisu in Vancouver.

This restaurant is wonderful, elegant and amazing! I really hope we can visit it one more time but if we don't, we have a beautiful lasting memory of great service, beautiful decor, and amazing food!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I had not been to Il Giardino for several months and I was pleasantly surprised to see how their service and food had improved. Mind you, the restaurant has always been good but this time the food and service were exceptional. Well worth a try.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I went on saturday night for a final experience before the doors close forever in April. We were not disappointed! Three generations of our families have been coming since Umberto opened his doors. We've had many celebrations there, always the choice of our grown kids too! They learned how to experience fine dining in a wonderful setting, no other like it in Vancouver. The wine cellar has always served us well, as have most of their staff. We have loved the food and the atmosphere and the occasional operatic voice! So thank you Umberto for so many wonderful memories and being an integral part of many of our family's celebrations!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Il Giardino - A landmark in our great city of Vancouver is closing its doors April 13, 2013 to make way for Condos. Nestled in the heart of bustling downtown Vancouver Il Giardino opened its doors in 1976. Its Italian villa setting is warm, colourful, inviting and full of Old Italian charm. Its homelike atmosphere has always been the perfect place for us to dine and relax. A varied menu from Fettuccine with Sundried Tomatoes, Canneloni stuffed with Dungenesss Crab, Salmon with Saffron, Rack of Lamb encrusted with Dijon, Pheasant stuffed with Truffles, Veal Scallopini to die for and so much more. Food and service are consistently excellent and well worth the higher prices.
My girlfriend and I had to experience one last time dining at our favourite restaurant since the 70’s. As always we had a wonderful time, awesome food, great wine, excellent service; even got a kiss from the waiter. Umberto, owner of this fine restaurant is always popping in making his rounds to each table with his charismatic smile and hugs. I’m sure you’ll see more of him as the day draws closer to closing.
Don’t worry about parking as they have Valet parking $8 but don’t forget to tip the nice man for all his efforts.
We’re sorry to see this awesome place go to the wrecking ball. If you have a chance, book a reservation as a piece of Vancouver's history will soon be gone.

Well done Umberto….we looked forward to a new restaurant opening?

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Llke many other reviewers have already stated, this has been our choice restaurant for special occasions, and a just plain treat. It is without doubt the most charming in Vancouver, for those of us who enjoy an intimate atmosphere along with wonderful food. The one draw back is the restaurant's extreme popularity for parties, which makes it very noisy upon occasion. And now that everyone knows that time is limited to enjoy it, Il Giardino is packed every day of the week, lunch included. We went with friends again a few weeks back, and as always, weren't disappointed. There are other excellent Italian restaurants in town, But none match the ambience of this one.