“Service and food awful”

Neighborhood: West End
Vancouver, Canada
“Service and food awful”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I went there after work - I was "dressed down" - I am a Director of Food Services at one of BC's largest operations. I met my wife for dinner and we were 'frowned' upon entry into the restaurant. Wow - sorry for not wearing a suit......... The food - I ordered a $42 steak - The server was ok to start and without notice we were passed to another server after the meal arrived. My steak was extremely tough and fatty. I could not find either waiter - no table check at all. I ate 2/3's of a 12 oz steak - 4oz fat / non edible. The side salad was flavourless but well presented. I was not even offered coffee or dessert. I looked at the waiter and I said are you kidding me - I asked for the manager and he was not available..........I gave him my card and said he better call me - never did. I paid my bill which was a gift card - I was not prepared to pay for my steak or service. My wife's meal was very good - it was a chicken pasta dish - feature of the day. I wish I ordered that vs the steak. The service from start to finish for this type of restaurant was highly unacceptable!!! I will NEVER EVER go back to this place. I didn't even leave a penny as a tip !! There are much better places in the downtown core - I can't say how disappointed I was when you have to stop at a fast food place after spending $150+ on dinner for 2

6 Thank APFEFFER

Toronto
“Italian at it's best”
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

We had a lovely dinner on a Saturday evening. Wonderful ambience..felt as if we were eating at a friend's home. The service was excellent but it was I thought somewhat overpriced.

West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Italian cuisine reigns supreme”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have never had a bad meal at IL Giardino. The pasta is always el dente cooked to perfection with all your favourite sauces. The service is excellent and the atmosphere is like you are in an Italian Villa with outside garden. I have had so many great meals here, not sure which one to comment on, but if you love Italian, you will not go wrong here. Great wine list, extensive Italian selections. The waiters are always happy to cater to your requests, if you want to try 3 different pastas, they will accomodate that and bring you all 3 on one plate in smaller portions as a sampler. I went to the cooking school in Tuscany which is owned by the owner and his sister and it was one of the best experiences of my life, Villa Delia near Ripoli and Lari. Fabulous and you get that same feel when you walk in to IL Giardino and smell the fresh yet old world cooking aromas. Buon Appetito!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Katherine M
Vancouver, Canada
“Birthday Celebration”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I had the opportunty to visit the very nice restaurant on Monday night for a birthday celebration. There were 7 of us in total and started at 7.00pm. First impressions were really nice attentive staff who showed us to our table. The decor and atmosphere just oozed class as did the service. The food was excellent i had penne aribiata and it was cooked perfectly. The wine list was huge and the whole dining experience was at a relaxed pace. We were almost last to leave and were reassured several times that we were welcome to take our time. We were never rushed. When the cake was served the lady who showed us to our table and sagn happy birthday. She is clearly a trained opera singer and her voice was amazing. All in all, it was a top quality experience.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Stephen K
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Umberto's is still a special place”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Terrific service . Went on a wet evening and had a great table. The room was really warm and inviting and filled up by the time we left -Although they had run out of the wine I chose the maitre d suggested another wine that was really excellent. Started with the calamari (both my guest and I thought it was excellent) He had the osso bucco (which he said was delicious) and I had veal liver - both delicious with lots of great fall vegetables. Dessert was really good (apple tart was one of the best I have ever had). Only negative was it was a little pricey. (probably about 10%)

• Visited October 2012