“Just OK”

Hy's Steakhouse & Cocktail Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Hy's Steakhouse & Cocktail Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #172 of 3,995 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Canadian, Grill
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Dunsmuir St.
Description: Hy's has been Canada's premier steakhouse since opening in 1955. Hy's offers guests the finest Canadian Prime beef, fresh seafood and delicoius takes on traditional steakhouse cuisine. With professional service in a warm, relaxed atmosphere, Hy's has been a part of important occasions and memorable meals for more than 60 years.
Reviewed July 18, 2009

Was disappointed in my steak. Ordered the steak oscar and my steak was not good at all. Dry and sort of tough. My husband had the roast beef which he said was very good. The ceasar salad was prepared at tableside, which I have not seen done in many years. it was very good and so was the overall service. Restaurant is dark and kind of stuffy.

Reviewed July 3, 2009

I have been dining at Hy's different locations, including Honolulu (I know, they are no longer affliliated.....) as long as I can remember and I have never ever been disappointed.

I generally start with the Chese Toast and Garlic Sauted Shrimp, move on to the Beefsteak Tomato Salad (or the Spinach Salad prepared tableside) and then the Bone-in Ribeye (medium rare) with Sauteed Spinach, Gorgonzola Mac n Cheese and Fresh Asparagus as sides.

I hate getting in ruts, but I like what I like and I had the above menu my last trip and it was a great as ever. Long live Hy's!

Reviewed June 28, 2009

We loved everything about this place - the ambience, the food and the service.

We found the prices reasonable and the quality of the food (especially the filet mignon) excellent. Our waiter was superb and added to the experience. We would definitely eat here again if visiting Vancouver.

Reviewed March 23, 2009

High end steak house, utterly the best atmosphere if you like traditional and classic. The service is excellent and traditional. Caesar salads and other items will be prepared fresh right at your table. The servers are typically well seasoned older gentlemen who are charming and well informed. This is another of Vancouver's best and most sophisticated restaurants. Food is amazing - try the garlic cheese toast and you might be coming back just for that!

Reviewed February 24, 2009

Hy's offers a good steak at a decent price and is one of my favourite Vancouver restaurants. It offers good value with steaks far superior to mid range places like the Keg or chain restaurants like Cactus or Brown's for only marginally more money. It offers quality and service close to higher end places like Mortons or Gotham but at a more reasonable price.
Cheese Bread is fantastic...Ceasar's still made table side...super old school interior and feel.