“Almost perfect”

Hy's Steakhouse & Cocktail Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Hy's Steakhouse & Cocktail Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #169 of 3,705 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Grill, Canadian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Dunsmuir St.
Description: Hy's has been Canada's first name in steaks since opening in 1955. For nearly 60 years the Hy's name has meant the finest Canadian beef and impeccable service in a warm, relaxed atmosphere. Hy's is Canada's premiere steakhouse. We are Hy's, and proud of it, since 1955.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

We visited recently as a family of five for a farewell meal with family before returning home.
From arrival to leaving the service, food and wine was excellent. The only let down was a Fillet Mignon that had a significant amount of fat at one end. To be fair to the restaurant they didn't charge for the fillet but it spoilt the experience a bit for my daughter.
I am sure this was a rare problem and would definitely eat there again.
Love the wine list on IPad as it means there is so much more information.

Visited July 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
“A dinner to remember”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

Hy's is one of my favourite restaurants in Vancouver. Thats easy when you love steak, but it's one of the best steak restaurants in Vancouver if not the best.

We were celebrating a birthday and the level of service (from Blair) was extraordinary to say the least. Ask for him when you make a reservation, you won't be disappointed. The comfort level overall was perfect. The ambiance in the restaurant is warming, with dim lighting and an old fashion style dinner service makes the whole experience pleasurable.

The food is the best part. The steaks were cooked perfectly and DO NOT miss out on the cheesy bread and caesar salad. The salad is made at the table which is part of that "old fashion" style dinner service, but it is nice to see how your food is prepared. Hy's "Only" NY steak with home made BBQ sauce is good, however I personally believe the steaks there are good enough to eat on their own. Try the porterhouse or the filet mignon. Both are great options on the menu.

We have been a few times this year and will continue to dine here. Keep up the great work!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Gabetls
“Always a Meal to Remember-Don't miss!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

My family & I have been enjoying the delicacies of Hy's for generations. My grandfather spent his birthdays there, my father spends his birthday's there, and in turn, I spend my birthday's with Hy's!

We celebrated my sister's 33rd birthday there on a warm Wednesday evening. We had a beautiful table right in the center of the restaurant; As always, the service was divine. Blair did an excellent job as our waiter and I would like to commend him on 2 things he did that were just above & beyond my expectations. My sister received some flowers for her birthday, and minutes later, he brought a lovely crystal vase to put them in. Secondly, he let me help to make the Caesar salad at the table; never have I seen anyone be allowed to do this! His humor & care towards our service was exceptional...well done Blair, Hy's is lucky to have you!

In terms of the food, always mouth-watering & out of this world. The steak is as if you are cutting into butter, with unbelievable appetizers of oysters, french onion soup, and escargot. They have wonderful cocktails & an impressive wine list as well, all on an IPAD! Oh, and don't forget their famous CHEESE BREAD!

It will be many more generations to come that will be dining at Hy's within my family, always a pleasure for a visit when i'm in town :)

If you are new to town & truly want a unique fine dining experience, this is your place. You won't get any better than this in the city!

• Visited July 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“Best Quality and Cook of Steak that I've ever had!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

I've heard of a few must-try steakhouses in Vancouver, however, I feel Hy's isn't as promoted as others. I kind of like that. Its a small entrance to the restaurant. A little tucked away in the downtown core. Classy is the best word I can describe. Perfect ambience and atmosphere. Wicked quality of food. Service is remarkable! Waiters are very courteous and clean. Great recommendations and knowledge with respect to wine pairing and food on the menu. Ever since I went to Hy's, I have only seen my self again and again compare all the high and mid quality steakhouses' steaks to Hy's Steak that I ate that day. Cream of the crop! can beat it. I look forward to going to eat there again.

• Visited March 2014
Muntinlupa, Philippines
“Fine Dining to Celebrate Canada Day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

We just had a gastronomic dinner at Hy's restaurant upon the invitation of an American friend. What a wonderful way to cap the street celebrations and parade in nearby streets. It's Canada Day, the spirit of independence lives on ( July 1) The ambience of the restaurant was of vintage years of fine dining. Dim lights, white uniformed waiters, saucers with white trimmed, cut out, look alike lace mini placemats. Steak itself was a great sampler of great Canada beef- tender even if it's one inch think. Great proportions for a slightly above average price. Unfortunately, on the way home, my daughter's iphone was pickpocketed.

• Visited July 2014