“Enlightening Beverages”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Gastown
Cross street: Dunsmuir/Pender
Transit: We are the second building north from the Stadium/Chinatown skytrain station.
Description: "An unpretentious fling with fine dining."
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Oddly enough the food doesn't stand out in memory; but it was their amazing selection of Belgian beers which I considered a life-altering experience and opened my eyes to the wizardry of the Trappist monks.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

How can so many people like this place? We read all the reviews and were looking forward to a fabulous experience. We reserved a week in advance for Saturday at 6 for 2 but were told we would have to leave by 7:45. I should have taken the hint then. We arrived early and the restaurant was not full yet. Even then the music was so loud the waiter had to shout to be heard. It just got louder from there, with increased conversation and everyone competing to be heard. Our table was so close to the next group that I felt I was sharing in their conversation rather than having a romantic dinner with my partner. After numerous communication difficulties resulting in missed orders and overall poor service, we left by our deadline with a rather bad taste in our mouthes and a ringing in the ears. The staff must be so used to it that they don't seem to notice or care.

5  Thank racingwiththewind
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We hosted a large dinner party here, 33 people. They have a great back room, very private. The food was excellent, flavours fantastic! Service was spot on, wine, plates, all served perfectly.
It is a real test for a kitchen to serve everyone quickly and not have big delays in the delivery.
Chambar not only handled our group, but the rest of the restaurant as well!

Reviewed January 13, 2014

My wife and I planned to celebrate our Christmas dinner together at Chambar for 2013 and I have to say, it was disapointing. Her and I have been wanting to try it for quite some time and we thought Christmas would have been a awesome time to try it. After hearing mostly great things about it, honestly, it didn't meet all the hype.

THE GLOW:
I will say it was much more casual than I expected, with that said, the atmosphere is pretty cool, hip, modern, yet very welcoming. The rooms wrap you up with their warm colours. We did find it a bit on the louder side but still very inviting.

Drink menu was pretty spectacular with a quite an impressive menu. If you like your drink, this is a for sure place for it.

The mussels and frites were for sure the best thing we ordered. If we didn't come to our table, I think my rating would have ben 2 stars.

TO GROW:
Customer Service: I was so not impressed by our server. He took at least 15 minutes to come back with to get our drink orders. Not cool. I don't care how busy it is, when I am paying that much money for dinner, I expect better service. Then after we got our food (not by our server I may add) he never came and checked up on us after our first bite, which I think was so not cool . I would have given my feedback then but the longer I waited for him to come, the more disappointed I got and then it was like "whats the point?" He came back but after our plates got taken away by whom I think was a bus boy. The only time he came to our table was to ask if we wanted dessert and we unfortunately said "no thank you"

Quality of food: although lavished with a great descriptions, honestly, the food quality was okay. My meat was a bit bland and nothing too special. Portions seemed a bit small as well.

So to wrap it up, the areas to Grow ... customer service and quality of food... what else is there in a restaurant to be the best at? These two areas make or break or an establishment.

1  Thank Gary L
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We have recently dined at Chambar after reading all the fabulous reviews. The experience was fine but nothing special. Two of us ordered the "Pot au feux" and the portion was incredibly small! It was a $30. menu item and included one dumpling (even though "dumpling" is plural in the menu) and the smallest piece of sablefish ever! The others in our party were satisfied but not impressed with the tagine and the duck. Very disappointing...

2  Thank TyGor