“Nice people and good Portuguese food”
Review of Casa Verde

Casa Verde
Ranked #1,421 of 3,803 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Portuguese
Nanaimo, Canada
“Nice people and good Portuguese food”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife and I spent our summer holidays in Portugal for the first time last year, and enjoyed the people and food so much. Following that, we wanted to find an authentic Portuguese restaurant near to us, and were happy when we discovered Casa Verde in Vancouver.

What we found there was the type of small family restaurant that we really enjoy, so similar to what you often find in small towns in Europe. The people at Casa Verde very friendly, and the daughter who served us made us feel right at home.

We found the food to be delicious and very authentic. It was certainly a good sign that the other customers were Portuguese and conversing in their native language.

The dishes that we started with were the chouriço sausage flamed in liquor, the small squid sautéed in garlic and olive oil, the pasteis de bacalhau (salted cod croquettes), and the grilled sardines. For the main course, we shared the grilled bacalhau covered in sautéed onions with a garlic and olive oil sauce on the side. For dessert, we had the flan, and after finished with bica (like espresso).

The wine we chose was the Grao Vasco, from the Dao region, which is a very good and reasonably-priced red wine.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and look forward so much to returning there. This restaurant is highly recommended to those who like authentic Portuguese food and simple family restaurants without any pretensions.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank ValerioRD

Surrey, BC
“An Authentic Portuguese Hole in the Wall”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I call this quaint Portuguese Restaurant a "Hole in the Wall" because you have to go looking for it. It's buried in the middle of a small non descript retail/industrial area in the Kensington-Cedar Cottage neighbourhood. After normal retail business hours, it is the only establishment that remains open. It is family run with the owner, his wife, his daughter, and his grandson in attendance the last time we visited. I can attest to the authenticity of the food since my in-laws are Portuguese by birth and whenever they visit from Toronto, Casa Verde is definitely on their itinerary. Once inside the restaurant, you quickly notice that you have stepped into another world where pictures of Portugal, shirts of the Portuguese soccer teams and other paraphenalia adorn the walls. And of course the large screen TV tuned to the Portuguese cable station has the attention of at least a few of the clients. I have had several of the menu items and all have been fresh and very tasty. One of my favourites is Bacalau a Braz(salted cod) but all of the entrees are good.
The next time you want to step into another world, I would recommend that you try Casa Verde.
The restaurant is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank iceman43c
Vancouver
“It can't get more authentic than this”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I am not sure why it is so hard to get Spanish and Portuguese food "right" outside of the Iberian peninsula... however, this place get's it right every time - we are now regulars. We used to always get the combination seafood plate, but ever since trying the Bacalau (salted cod), we now have a new favourite. In the many times that I have visited Portugual, I don't remember having such a healthy and tasty Bacalau. The Choricao asado is also a favourite of ours. It's a flaming Spanish sausage - and they use sambuca to fuel the flame!! (not sure if that was supposed to be secret). Sara the host always greets us with a smile and makes us feel like we're going over to a friends house for dinner rather than a restaurant. On Saturday's they have their specialty, roasted chicken and I don't think it get's any better than that. Be sure to ask for their piri piri sauce with anything you order. Try to go when there is a soccer game and you get too see Portuguese people yelling at the TV (and each other).. And go figure that you can have a decent authentic meal and a reasonable price.... great times at Casa Verde.

• Visited May 2012