“Surprise awaiting you”
Review of Cafe Il Nido

Cafe Il Nido
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Il Nido is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #715 of 3,732 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Robson Street
Cross street: Robson
Transit: Bus stop & skytrain station walking distance in the heart of downtown
Description: Since opening in 1988, Il Nido has consistently ranked in the top echelon of Vancouver Restaurants. Here, BC's finest ingredients are used to create dishes reminiscent of Northern Italy - "the food of kings, peasants and, everyone in between". Traditional fish, meat and pasta dishes are made with the use of non-traditional herbs and spices, such as saffron and ginger. Sauces are lean and light. Fresh fish and vegetables are staples. Desserts are home-made. With its elegant yet, casual atmosphere, muted/understated decor and sunny patio, this "Nest In The City" is a destination for those who enjoy wonderful food and good conversation. Groups of up to 50 are welcome and custom menus are easily designed with organic, gluten free, and vegetarian options available. As Il Nido continues as one of Vancouver's finest restaurants, evolving with imagination and inventiveness, its motto remains: Everyone Leaves Happy.
UK
“Surprise awaiting you”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We had one night (Friday) in Vancouver, after trying several restaurants on a busy night my wife and I stumbled across a hidden sign for Il Nido and thought why not have a look. Hidden away down a dark passage way we were about to turn around when we come across the doorway. Upon entering we were greeted by the manager (Franco) and told we would have about one hour to wait. We decide to stay and wait, have a drink or two. Surprisingly after twenty minutes we were taken to a table.The menu was quite comprehensive and the staff took time to guide us through the menu with a few recommendations. We decided to follow one of the recommendations and shared a first course as we were told it was quite a lot for one person. When the main course arrived I thought we had made a mistake in only ordering one first dish. The plate was small but on closer inspection was very deep. We both struggled to finish the main course and could not even think of ordering a desert. During the evening we were asked by three different waitresses, and Franco, on a few occassions if we required any drinks, bread help or advice.
This restaurant was a great experience made so by the attentive staff but more so by the quality of the food.
Don't miss out on a great eating experience and excellent value for money

• Visited September 2011

Tyngsboro, Massachusetts
“Perfecto”
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I stumbled upon a sign for this little gem of a restaurant by accident. I thought it looked interesting and decided to wait for an hour till the lunch opening time. It was so worth my wait!!!. I had the most incredible experience at this restaurant. So much so that I returned the next day for lunch as well then took my husband with me three days later. Since I was alone, the server spent a lot of time with me and the owner came over for a chat as well. When he found out that I was from the Boston area, he told me that it was one of his favorite cities. I had three incredible meals there that would rival any restaurant in Bostons little Italy known as the North End. A must try for anyone looking for a warm atmosphere and excellent food while in Vancouver. The homemade bread is to die for.

• Visited September 2011
Los Angeles, California
“Disappointing Italian”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We picked this restaurant after reading some good reviews about it, but it disappointed us. We did not find the food very good. Pastas were not homemade but purchased (the waiter said it was too difficult to make their own pasta.) The appetizer, advertised as carpaccio on bruschetta, was a big disappointment. The bruschetta was more like a rye cracker and the dish, while it looked fancy, required you to actually assemble your bruschetta which was a bit of a mess. With so many wonderful restaurants in Vancouver, we would avoid this one next time.

• Visited April 2011
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“better than what i expected”
Reviewed February 23, 2011

food is very good, presentation was okay. they put the right amount of sauce and it wasn't too salty. it went really well with the pasta and the meat. the quality of the meat was also really good as it tasted fresh. mashed potato also had the right amount of salt, and the veggie wasn't overcooked. we enjoyed the food n there wasn't any complaint about the main course. the dessert, tiramisu, was a bit different than the usual tiramisu. it was still good, not too sweet n the components were well balanced. the only complaint is that the outer sponge was a bit too thick n a bit rubbery, and i couldn't really taste the liqueur. service was really friendly and accomodating. atmosphere was nice, romantic, and relaxing.

• Visited February 2011
1 Thank ladymaryjane
Vancouver, Canada
“Good for Dates”
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Good combination of quiet, downtown location and relaxed euro service, perfect for a date. Maybe the most civilized patio in the area - quiet in Summer with little to no traffic noise. Food was top notch, not cliched Italian, and service was good. Portions weren't huge but this is actually what you want on a date. Wife and I will go again.

• Visited November 2010