“Wish there was a Cafe Zen in cities we visit on vacation.”
Review of Cafe Zen

Cafe Zen
Ranked #546 of 3,948 Restaurants in Vancouver
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Recently I had a desire for Eggs Mexicano, my spouse prefers the California Eggs Benny, and headed over to Cafe Zen on Yew Street. It opens early for those who want breakfast and continues with that menu until late afternoon. Cafe Zen offers a variety of bennys, omelettes, crepes, some interesting egg dishes, a few healthy choices, etc. In other words, it is the kind of restaurant my spouse and I would love to go to in the cities we visit on vacation because there are enough items for those of a vegetarian bend and those wanting more meaty fare. Alas we are rarely in these cities long enough to discover where the locals eat. And besides, prices are of the moderate variety here and tourist guide books aren’t always strong on listing such restaurants.

The space itself isn’t particularly fancy and the tables are fairly close together. On weekends the place can be quite busy though during the week tables are usually available immediately. While formerly not open after 5pm, cafe Zen will now be open evenings Wednesday to Saturday with a different menu than the daytime one. However, we haven’t checked that out yet.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

So I've eaten here several times over the past few decades. Used to live across the street. Eaten many times here while living in Vancouver. It was always just ok in my opinion but ....

Was in Vancouver for a couple of days and my brother in law told me we had to go to Zen Cafe. Best breakfast in Vancouver, never disappoints he told me.

I order the Bacon Benny. Asked for crispy bacon as per usual whenever I have Eggs Benny. So there are varying degrees of crispy. In this case I did not agree with the cook's definition of crispy as I thought it was burnt but I wasn't going to argue. But the English muffin was very burnt as in "I can't believe anyone would plate that and serve it" burnt. That's the part of the breakfast that dropped it a notch or two for me.

Service was good. Coffee good. Always replenished water. But the totally burnt English muffin (the chef could have so easily toasted another and sent my plate out a minute after the others) really made this experience just average.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

Cafe Zen and Sophie's don't have the world's most amazing food. It's uninspired, stereotypical diner food. And as such, the prices should reflect this.
Cafe Zen is very cute, and Yew street is a sweet little spot for brunch. Because I live in the neighbourhood, however, I always go to Joe's Grill (4th near Arbutus - just downhill from Sophie's). It's dim and dingy, but the food is as good (or better) than Cafe Zen, and certainly better than the woefully overrated and slightly icky Sophie's!
So my advice is this: if you want somewhere cute and fairly cheap for brunch, skip Sophie's enormous and inexplicable line and head to Cafe Zen. If, however, you're hungover and just want good food for cheap, hit up Joe's Grill on 4th (nice and dimly lit!). ;)

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Decent little place with friendly staff and reasonable prices. Nothing fancy or unique on the menu, just your average American/Canadian diner-esque food.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

I had heard thru a friend about this place and I have been there many times ,, I think the food is wonderful and the service is always good sometimes you have to wait for a table but well worth the wait , great food I think my fav is the salmon omlette yummy ..
Mu husband thinks the eggs benny's are the best.. Enjoy