“EXCEPTIONAL FOOD” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Water Cafe

Blue Water Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Water Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 3,680 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Sushi, Canadian, Soups
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Yaletown & False Creek North
Cross street: Helmcken St.
Description: Blue Water Cafe is Vancouver's definitive destination for seafood, widely known for its excellence in celebrating the extraordinary flavours of BC. Consistently awarded "Best Seafood Restaurant" in Vancouver and recognized for its unparalleled service, an evening at Blue Water Cafe is truly an unforgettable experience.
“EXCEPTIONAL FOOD”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

Best to call ahead a few weeks if possible to get reservations. Dress is casual . If you walk in and make a reservation there is usually a wait . There is also a small bar area for 6-8 people and at times it is not too busy. We had dinner, wine ,oysters and dessert. All the meals we ordered were a 10 out of 10. The Oyster selection is fantastic and fresh. The food price is mid to high. Wine selections are mid to high price range . Your chosen wine is poured in to a glass aerator no one table has the same one. Our waitress was okay nothing over the top disappointing for what we paid. We got the impression we were not star quality like they are used to . We spent over $500 . The kitchen is open so you can see the food preparation and cooking, it is great to watch.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Williamsburg, VA
“Great Seafood, Busy Restaurant, Expensive, Worth It”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

We are visiting Vancouver, and asked our hotel for a recommendation. They sent us to the Yaletown district, which has lots of restaurants. Reservations are recommended for the Blue Water Cafe, but we dropped in anyway. They had no tables this Thursday night, but did have two seats at the bar, where the full menu is available.

We chose to stay and are very glad we did. Our bartender/waiter was a very nice young man from Australia. He allowed us to taste a wine before we ordered it, and then made several suggestions; all were good. We started with a seafood sampler that came in a four dish tower. It was spectacular. There was a scallop cerviche, a shrimp and crab salad, a dumpling of some type of sashimi, and a layered salmon loaf. All were excellent. My wife had the marinated sablefish. Marinated in a soy based mixture, it was simply great. I had the Arctic char, which was simply cooked and served over a veggie mixture with crab, salmon roe, and a nice sauce. Again, it was wonderful. We had no room for dessert.

A surprise bonus to sitting at the bar was a young Vancouver couple that was sitting next to us. We chatted, and got suggestions of things to do and see in Vancouver, and told them about our home. It turned out that the young man was the local rep for a big liquor company, and this restaurant was one of his clients. When he found out we liked scotch, he got us a sample of a new scotch from Macallan. It costs over $300 a bottle in Canada, and is not yet available in the U.S. It was superb, of course. He also treated us to a Canadian whiskey that is about to be introduced to the U.S. It was very good, and quite modestly priced.

All in all, this was one of the most enjoyable dinners out we have had in a long time. Being alone in the city, the decision to sit at the bar was a very good one, as it allowed us to chat with some local residents. It would have been the better thing to do, even without the two free drinks.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank EdinVA09
Winnipeg
“great non-seafood options”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

I'm not at all fond of seafood, and I was worried that during our week in Vancouver I'd be hard-pressed to find "turf" options that I would consistently enjoy, but I was wrong. Though seafood is clearly the focus at places like Blue Water Cafe & Raw Bar, they do not give short shrift to the non-fishy foods. The pork cheeks and free range chicken were deliciously prepared. My husband does not share my limitations and had the crab salad and sable fish, which he loved. Also, being on vacation, we were probably dressed a little too casually, but were never made to feel unwelcome. Our waiter, clearly very experienced and loving his job (a rarity, these days), was friendly and helpful, and made excellent wine recommendations. (Sorry I didn't catch his name.) My only regret was that I had eaten a full lunch that day, and so was entirely too full to enjoy dessert at all. I wish I had planned ahead better!

• Visited September 2013
“Very Nice Seafood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

We dined here for the first time the other night. I'm not sure why we've never been here before but we finally seized the opportunity and went. The restaurant is a mix of decor but it all comes off as quite cozy despite being a fairly good size. We all enjoyed our meals very much. I had a dungeness crab salad and the scallops and to finish enjoyed a pomegranate cheesecake. The portions were not huge but I still felt really full. My only complaint really was the service which felt was too slow for a restaurant of this caliber. There were unreasonably big gaps between appetizers, dinner and dessert so we were there for a good 3.5 hours which is a bit on the long side.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LizzyJB
“Consistently excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

Great small, cozy room; consistently good food & drinks - one of my favorite Vancouver restaurants! We go for special occasions and love each time.

• Visited June 2013